Two piece speedometer cable to a single cable (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
75 fj40. I replaced my two piece speedometer cable with a one piece speedometer cable and didn’t notice at first that the speed marker reverses the spin on the cable. Is there a fix for this that I’m missing?

9F38D65A-2006-4A04-A2A2-9C2F9645A86A.jpeg

Last edited:
Is the new single piece not working? I just did the same exact thing on my 75 and it's fine.
I hooked up a drill and speedometer works when I spin it counter clockwise. If this is right then it may be the drive gear needs replaced.

It shouldn’t run backward as far as I’ve heard...I don’t think the box reverses the drive.

Since my 1975 speedometer failed this weekend, I guess I’ll find out! I’m just curious - is everyone switching to one piece cables for simplicity or are the 2-piece cables NLA?

Also I’ve always been curious as to what that junction box does. My understanding is there’s a second odometer in there and had something to do with the EGR, but that’s as far as I got. The emissions stuff on my truck is long gone.

Last edited:
The Speed marker 89445-22010 DOES NOT change the rotation of the speed-o cables or cable feeding it or leaving it either ..

just like a drill bit or dremmel flex cable attachment continues motion one direction ..

i am going to take a huge leap here and suspect either your clip on end at cluster meter itself / square drive spiral cable itself or the Key-Way on the t-case end is NOT fully engaged

and simply NOT getting properly driven / spun directly buy either or ? 🤔

i have been in a hurry and have had both sceneros happen to me over the years

also :

as you shut and tilt IN the cluster , the cable might have come un-clipped by the extreme angle if nobody was also pulling on cable from fire wall side , taking up the slack as you go so to speak , happened to me also once or twice too

all things to check at daylight 2nd time to be sure ...

1592981304223.png

That's it.
It tripped the egr light every so many 10k miles...just so you would take it to the shop for inspection of the system.

Where is the EGR light supposed to be on a 75? The only light I’ve ever noticed is the brake warning light on the dash... I see some pictures of a 76 in googling that looks like they got moved to a light cluster to the left of the steering wheel but It doesn’t look like mine ever had that.

Ah got it - there’s been a light bulb hanging down there for years but I never knew what it came from - the bracket/lens are long gone.

I’ll stop hijacking at this point!

Funny ending to a long and tortuous fix. First the one piece is a direct plug and play. Second, if the plastic drive gear tines are worn (even in one spot) it will not work. And last......I replaced the tenths of mile odometer ring with a disk from the speed marker seen in photo 1. These disks are numbered in the opposite order of the odometer so it looks like it’s going backwards. Long story short, I purchased a new drive gear and speedometer works fine, all of the odometer numbers work correctly, it is just the tenths are numbered in descending order.

It shouldn’t run backward as far as I’ve heard...I don’t think the box reverses the drive.

Since my 1975 speedometer failed this weekend, I guess I’ll find out! I’m just curious - is everyone switching to one piece cables for simplicity or are the 2-piece cables NLA?

Also I’ve always been curious as to what that junction box does. My understanding is there’s a second odometer in there and had something to do with the EGR, but that’s as far as I got. The emissions stuff on my truck is long gone.
Did not see your question answered in this thread.
It appears the two piece speedo cable no. 1 and no. 2 are NLA.

Toyota 83710-60090​

Speedometer Drive Cable Assembly, No.1

Toyota 89449-69015​

Speedometer Drive Cable Assembly, No.2
Link here
99268ADF-B30A-4374-BC85-68D893117B99.jpeg

Since the two cables are NLA, it appears the Maintenance Interval Detector 89445-22010 will be omitted from all factory correct restorations unless used cables can be sourced.
1634297662137.png

1634297875684.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom