Two part question, about Birfs and Drivetrain slack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I just got my 93 about a week or so ago. And today, I got it stuck for the first time. Seems 4 wheel lockers don't account for much if your frame is sitting on the hard crust of snow after your tire have sunk in down to the axles.

Anyway, my questions.

#1: My Birfs don't click when I am driving forward and turning, but I noticed when I was in reverse, in low, and locked, and with the wheels turned lock to lock, that there is clicking going on on the DS. This doesn't happen in the forward direction. I am doing a rebuild next week, what are the odds I don't need to put in new birfs? (I will likely go with the standard factory type)

#2: How much slack should there be in the driveline? For example, how far should each component turn from the wheels to the transfer case? Also, would slack cause uneven deceleration during mild/ moderate braking, or is that rotors?

If you are going to rebuild try swapping the birfs from one side to the other. This puts the birfs in a new wear area and can eliminate the clicking.

Also try to avoid reversing with the front axle locked. Especially while trying to turn. That is a recipe for disaster for the ring and pinion.

If you are going to rebuild try swapping the birfs from one side to the other. This puts the birfs in a new wear area and can eliminate the clicking.

Also try to avoid reversing with the front axle locked. Especially while trying to turn. That is a recipe for disaster for the ring and pinion.
Do you think this may be the cause of the clicking? Especially because of the higher load ?

reversing with front wheels locked to one side or the other will break a birf easily, depending on the situation you were doing this in you could of broken a birf. No way to tell until you dig in there and take a look.

as far as slack in the driveline, I have some slack when letting off of the accelerator at times, I have asked on the forum about this and others have described it as "shunt" and according to the japanese it is normal slack that happens with higher mileage vehicles.....that being said though it is difficult to describe in text and I am unsure of your particular situation.

Check the drive splines...

reversing with front wheels locked to one side or the other will break a birf easily, depending on the situation you were doing this in you could of broken a birf. No way to tell until you dig in there and take a look.

as far as slack in the driveline, I have some slack when letting off of the accelerator at times, I have asked on the forum about this and others have described it as "shunt" and according to the japanese it is normal slack that happens with higher mileage vehicles.....that being said though it is difficult to describe in text and I am unsure of your particular situation.
Well, It was done with the frame resting on the snow, the tires could barely budge the car and mostly just spinned. I guess I will do some test driving today to see if I replicate the sound.

Had to get yanked out because I didn't bring a shovel. I guess I learn something everyday. One, don't drive into snowdrifts unless you know exactly how deep they are, Two, go wheeling with a buddy, and three carry a shovel to dig out the snow if you do get caught up in it.

If you're just hearing a click when the steering is cranked over one way or another, may just be normal noises for a truck with a lot of miles on it. You didn't mention anything about the axle being serviced and you may not know if ever done since you just bought it. It could be that, especially if the moly grease inside the knuckle is low.

You can take the fill plug out and look inside to see what the level might be. Adding a tube or more of the correct grease (check the FAQ) and running it for a couple of weeks may quiet things down for now. If it does, that points to normal wear and tear (consider the side-to-side swap already mentioned and also documented in the axle service FAQ) rather than a failure.

If you're just hearing a click when the steering is cranked over one way or another, may just be normal noises for a truck with a lot of miles on it. You didn't mention anything about the axle being serviced and you may not know if ever done since you just bought it. It could be that, especially if the moly grease inside the knuckle is low.

You can take the fill plug out and look inside to see what the level might be. Adding a tube or more of the correct grease (check the FAQ) and running it for a couple of weeks may quiet things down for now. If it does, that points to normal wear and tear (consider the side-to-side swap already mentioned and also documented in the axle service FAQ) rather than a failure.

I will do that ASAP, I am planning a full front axle rebuild in a few weeks, especially because it's leaking grease out, and I don't know when the last rebuild was. I will top off the joints in the meantime.

Ok. Update. If I am doing donuts in the snow, in high, the DS Birf clicks pretty bad when the wheel is over 35/40% to the lock. I think it's time for a new one. It is silent when on dry concrete driving at full lock going slow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom