Two Issues... Gas Filler Door and all the other doors... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So as Land Cruiser owners, we know that gas fill-ups are basically a regular thing, and my gas filler door don't work. I have to stick my credit card into the right side of the fuel filler door and then pull the release thing on the interior, I can't just pull it. There has to be something in between the gas filler door and rear quarter panel in order for it to be able to open, and I think this is probably a spring issue in the mechanism by the filler door or something. I can provide pictures if you want, but how do I fix this? The other issue has to do with the car doors in general, mainly the driver side door. You really gotta give it a good push or slam for it to close fully and properly, and I tried replacing the screws in the door where the clip meets with the latch on the body, and it doesn't seem like it helped. What should I do about this? Thanks in advance

Just an idea, but you might look in the FSM for how to adjust the drivers door striker to get it to close right. As for the gas filler door, sounds like your cables stretched out. With to much slack in that cable, it doesn't move the release far enough to open the door. So you could look in the FSM to see if there's a cable adjustment for that door.

There is a spring inside the gas door as well. Ive seen several break as mine did as well this week. It clips onto the pin that it hinges on

Run a couple of ty wraps around the fuel door pin, the bent ty wraps will act as your spring.

Mine was like that and wouldn't stay closed. It ended up just needing to be lubed. Sprayed it w wd40 and used needle nose to pull it in and out.

On gas door there should be little spring clip kinda triangle shaped sits by hinge, to open it just pop out the side door in the back of the truck you'll see the cable for the gas door pull it from in there while pushing the door out all from inside of truck

I'm doing the same thing with my 40th - the flat spring steel piece was missing when I bought it.

I'm such a lazy bast@rd I put a old card on a piece of monofilament, so when the door opens my card doesn't blow away. Lord, I need to get that damn spring fixed, but when you have a system that works.....

Ditto, lost my fuel door spring recently, need to order a replacement. I have my cargo panels off so it's easy to reach in and pull the cable with one hand and open the door with the other.

Is all the weatherstipping around the driver's door and body correctly attached?

Here's the left side of the door...
Screenshot_20161022-222950.png

I had to stick a PNW map here to get it to open...
Screenshot_20161022-223029.png

I'll post pics of the other side of the dorr tomorrow If it'll help.
Is all the weatherstipping around the driver's door and body correctly attached?
I'll check tomorrow.

Where can I get a good FSM for cheap?

Last edited:
One ty wrap/zip ty for warm climates, two for cold climates!
Will not rust, easy to find, cheap to buy.

IMG_2079[1].JPG

I have the same problem with the driver door- need to slam it to close fully. The strike is not adjustable, but I plan to open up the holes to allow adjustment.

I have the same problem with the driver door- need to slam it to close fully. The strike is not adjustable, but I plan to open up the holes to allow adjustment.

Hinges are adjustable, you just need to support the door with a jackstand & cardboard shims, I did that when I had to swap doors after a tree jumped out in the middle of a trail. Alders move fast! :cool:

If you're adjusting the hinge on your doors, I'd first mark where they are (before you start). Trace around the hinge with a grease pencil if you want to be able to clean off the marks. Just a quick shot of spray paint if you don't care. That way if you don't like how you adjust them, yo can at least put it back. My guess is a problem with aftermarket weatherstrip, rather than the original hinge mounting; but I suppose adjusting the hinge may compensate. Or perhaps the Cruiser doors just take a firmer closing action than some other vehicles you've used. My brother frequently fusses how I "slam" the doors on his VW Passat, because I'm used to closing my doors with considerable force.

...and if you really needed someone to google "dorman fuel door spring" https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-47208-Lexus-Toyota-Spring/dp/B000O02K2M

If it was mine, I'd be sorely tempted to use the redneck (or should I say "innovative") ziptie or clothespin springs; but for around $5 shipped, I might buy a real spring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom