Two front right wheel bearings in one year...what gives? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 2015 76 has destroyed two front right wheel bearings in the last year. I have 1 inch spacers on the front...is that the culprit? It went the first three years without a problem. The left has been fine, though when I just now found the right destroyed I checked the left and found a bit of play. Any tips? I want to keep the spacers if possible, for the width.

My 2015 76 has destroyed two front right wheel bearings in the last year. I have 1 inch spacers on the front...is that the culprit? It went the first three years without a problem. The left has been fine, though when I just now found the right destroyed I checked the left and found a bit of play. Any tips? I want to keep the spacers if possible, for the width.
What offset are the tyres that you have? If you have -44 rims and 1 inch spacers, that will destroy wheel bearings and as it is spacers are terrible for them as well. If you have changed the wheel bearings yourself make sure that the bearing races are properly seated and the locking nut is installed properly. A fsm is a must have, as is quality parts and grease.

What offset are the tyres that you have? If you have -44 rims and 1 inch spacers, that will destroy wheel bearings and as it is spacers are terrible for them as well. If you have changed the wheel bearings yourself make sure that the bearing races are properly seated and the locking nut is installed properly. A fsm is a must have, as is quality parts and grease.

Not sure what my offset is. They are the factory rims. I've been looking for the FSM...where can it be downloaded? We have some cowboy mechanics here, he said I should have come back in a couple months after the first replacement to have the nut checked and tightened...maybe. I guess you get what you pay for. The bearings on both front wheels with the seals including labor set me back only 220$ total, orignial parts no less! Cheap labor in Saudi. But if I go to the dealer it will be 600-800$. Maybe worth it though.

I am just curious, why are you running spacers on the front. The front is 4” wider than the rear, seems odd to have spacers on the front.

You shouldn’t need to re-torque the wheel bearing nuts but if you are running spacers and say do long drives on rough roads, yes it may need to adjusted from time to time. I have personally never had one come loose and I have taken very heavy Cruisers on very long drives on very rough roads.

Follow the FSM and it should not be a problem. If your mechanic is setting them by “feel” which many do, I would find a new mechanic.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom