Two different flywheels for HZJ80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DivByZero

SILVER Star
Threads
I've got a parts mystery. So I'm going to be up for a new clutch on my HZJ80 soon. Not surprising with how I drive it. While looking into which clutch I'm going to fit, I decided to check the parts catalog and confirm which flywheel I have. There are two "typical" flywheels for the manual diesel 80's:

13405-17010 - 275mm flywheel, fitted to HZJ80/HZJ7# Landcruiser models, and HZB30/HZB50/HZB60/HZB70 Coaster models
13405-17020 - 300mm flywheel, fitted to HDJ80/HDJ7#/HDJ100 Landcruiser models, and some HZB30 Coaster models

Apparently, I don't have either of those. Nope. Here's the part in my vehicle:

13405-17040 - ???mm flywheel, fitted to HZJ80 Landcruiser models from 1995/04 - 1998/01, in Australia exclusively.

This part isn't used anywhere else in the world on any other models. If you put it into Google, you can barely even tell it ever existed. Does anyone know anything about this mystery flywheel? There must be something that makes it different from the typical 13405-17010 version, but I can't get any info about it at all so far.

Might also want to post in the Diesel forum.

I believe the flywheel spec'd for turbo 80's (with 1hdt ex factory) was bigger because the clutch assembly was larger, so that could be what you're seeing reflected in the part numbers...

13405-17020 definitely matches up to HDJ80 from 1992 in Toyodiy (plus Amayama shows it being a crossover Hino part as well). For 1hz 80's it shows 13405-17010 for my year (when my hzj80 was built) but my other 'default' year for part number comparisons (1997) shows 13405-17040 for 1hz 80's .

Not sure what the differences between -17010 and -17040 are.

Have you looked to see if there's any changes to corresponding related parts like clutch plate, pressure plate, dowels, flywheel bolts, starter.

Part number change can just be because they changed part of the design to make production more efficient without changing fitment

Have you looked to see if there's any changes to corresponding related parts like clutch plate, pressure plate, dowels, flywheel bolts, starter.

Part number change can just be because they changed part of the design to make production more efficient without changing fitment
Good point. I checked the rest of the gear - all the same part numbers, no changes. So whatever they tweaked in 95, it didn't affect fitment to the engine, clutch, or starter. I suppose all it could have been then is adding or removing mass? Maybe they decided to give the Aussie models a bit more stored energy in the flywheel, with the same diameter?

I wish we had the new car feature publications for the 80 series. This might have got a mention. It's region specific (Aus only), so it seems unlikely to be a routine production streamline, it was done for a specific reason with a purpose. Just bugging me now that I don't know what.

When I eventually pull the flywheel to get it machined for the new clutch (it's probably another 6-12 months away), I'll snap some pics and see if we can spot the difference.

I've got a parts mystery. So I'm going to be up for a new clutch on my HZJ80 soon. Not surprising with how I drive it. While looking into which clutch I'm going to fit, I decided to check the parts catalog and confirm which flywheel I have. There are two "typical" flywheels for the manual diesel 80's:

13405-17010 - 275mm flywheel, fitted to HZJ80/HZJ7# Landcruiser models, and HZB30/HZB50/HZB60/HZB70 Coaster models
13405-17020 - 300mm flywheel, fitted to HDJ80/HDJ7#/HDJ100 Landcruiser models, and some HZB30 Coaster models

Apparently, I don't have either of those. Nope. Here's the part in my vehicle:

13405-17040 - ???mm flywheel, fitted to HZJ80 Landcruiser models from 1995/04 - 1998/01, in Australia exclusively.

This part isn't used anywhere else in the world on any other models. If you put it into Google, you can barely even tell it ever existed. Does anyone know anything about this mystery flywheel? There must be something that makes it different from the typical 13405-17010 version, but I can't get any info about it at all so far.
I have been trying to find out the same thing for my truck... trying to figure out what parts I would need for an auto-to-manual swap.
I have a VIN nr for a 1991 manual 1HDT and a 1995 manual 1HDTFT.
I'm only using the diagrams from partsouq as a reference though, for the 1991 12 valve partsouq says 13405-17010 (275mm), and for the 1995 24 valve it says
13405-17020 (300mm)

One would be for the standard n/a clutch and one for the bigger turbo clutch.

Same market?
on 2nd thought maybe not... The 1995 truck has the letter W for the market in the model code, which as far as I know stands for Europe.
The 1991 truck has the letter X in the same place, and I still have not found out what X is supposed to mean.
My truck which is a 1991 HDJ80 as well, also has the letter X, and I know for a fact that mine was imported by our Toyota dealership brand new.

Mabey X is supposed to mean blank= General export ?

This is my reference btw: https://landcruiserhm.com/images/pdfs-doc/Model_Decoder_v2_20200429.pdf

That's a good guide, but it doesn't totally match the original encoding rules for the 80 series. Here's the word from the new car features manuals for the 80 series:
20231003_130430.jpg

That's a good guide, but it doesn't totally match the original encoding rules for the 80 series. Here's the word from the new car features manuals for the 80 series:
View attachment 3445956
I have not seen this manual before, but okay that settles this then, the trucks both have the same last letter (W) so they are both set up for the same market.
Both are factory turbo, but do not share the same flywheel.

Yeah, those manuals aren't online anywhere. On my list to eventually scan.

If you're comfortable posting the VIN numbers for the vehicles, I can dig into the parts catalog to see what it says? I've got the full Toyota EPC here.

Yeah, those manuals aren't online anywhere. On my list to eventually scan.

If you're comfortable posting the VIN numbers for the vehicles, I can dig into the parts catalog to see what it says? I've got the full Toyota EPC here.
Sent you a pm

Ok, so there are differences between Europe and the "General" region here. In the "General" region (which includes Australia), 13405-17010 (275mm flywheel) was fitted to 1HZ engines only. That was not the case in Europe. In that region, the 275mm flywheel was used for the 1HDT as well. The 13405-17020 (300mm flywheel) was only used on 1HD-FT equipped HDJ80 models in Europe, starting in 1995. No idea why, just a regional variation. That's what the part catalog shows.

Interesting, and probable the reason why the 300mm flywheel is so hard to find here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom