Two different early FWD knobs? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

65swb45

Elder Statesman
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.marksoffroad.net
So THE FJ45 is now safely back in AZ and Mike has called to ask me an interesting question. Apparantly his large faced F.D. knob does not fit on his F.D. cable. Is it possible that there are two different pre-66 F.D. knobs. I know that there are two different length cables, for heater and non-heater models, but I didn't think there'd be a difference in knobs as well.

How about a thread diameter and pitch check from the 45 crew.:)

I took a closer look at both cables and the one that is currently in the truck is M5 x .80 pitch. The threads are in good shape and a new nut will easily screw on, but not my large FD knob.

For my other cable... the one where the large FD knob easily screws onto... which I am 95% was originally in the vehicle...the threads appear to be slightly coarser. I took the FD knob into ACE Hardware today and could not find anything that would thread into it. Attached is a picture of that mystery cable and the FD knob as well as the one in the vehicle (without a knob).

My goal is to get an original FD knob back in the truck. I can swap out the cable, or I can hunt up a different FD knob that will fit the existing cable.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

FJ45Dude
FOr Posting.jpg
M5 80 Pitch Thread.jpg

And here I was hoping you had two different styles for sale...

I have found at least 4 different thread pitches for the 4WD knob.
I am working on reproducing these and unfortunately cant find any standard
inserts that will fit the threads. Toyota used a weird pitch on all of these

Well, here's what I found today.

I need to replace the cable on my swb (housing is badly frayed) so I went digging into the stash. What I could put my hands on in five minutes got sorted into three batches. On the left, the long, non-heater type. In the middle, the standard heater type. THEN, to my surprise, three of the under-dash cables had the large FD knobs as well. i thought maybe this was a swap, so I pulled one off and tried to put it on an earlier cable. It did not fit.

image.jpeg

Well, here's what I found today.

I need to replace the cable on my swb (housing is badly frayed) so I went digging into the stash. What I could put my hands on in five minutes got sorted into three batches. On the left, the long, non-heater type. In the middle, the standard heater type. THEN, to my surprise, three of the under-dash cables had the large FD knobs as well. i thought maybe this was a swap, so I pulled one off and tried to put it on an earlier cable. It did not fit.

View attachment 1242798

@HelloKitty65

The FD / front Drive knob i Recently Restored has Brass Threaded insert cast into it from factory

After a good few Solid minutes , I finally found out a 5mm x 0.90 Tap could be hand threaded in about 12mm deep before

becoming very resistant like a Taper was formed in the Brass :idea:

Unknown Year FD knob in photos ..............

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom