Twisted off spark plugs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
PO failed to put anti-seize on the spark plugs, so the rear three snapped at the gasket seat. :censor:

Might have been the plug design, too, as the Champion plugs are notably thin at that point, with a sharp inside shoulder. Stress riser, anyone?:bang:

Was able to pull the electrodes out, so there's no loose trash in the cylinders.

I'd like to get them out without pulling the head.

Current plan is to heat them up with a MAPP torch, then apply paraffin to the threads, and try getting them out with the (hateful) ez-out.

When that fails (and it will, I've never had good luck with the ez-out), I'm going to turn down some grade 5 bolts to fit the holes (I have a metal lathe), then silver solder the bolts in with high temp silver solder, and go after them with the breaker bar.

If that fails, and I can't picture that it will, then I'll go after them with the air impact wrench. I am concerned about breaking the plug seats with this, as the wrench can generate 625 ft-lbs - great for taking off lug nuts, not so good for much of anything else, and no good for putting anything together.

Any other suggestions?

Kirk

heat and let them cool a few times, then go after them with the ez out, don't forget to give them some goat piss.
just turn the air down, it won't make full power if you don't give it full air.

Heat, cool with ice, heat, cool... Can't see them putting uo that much of a fight if you are patient.

Never heard of that problem before.
Good luck.

I'd worry about stripping the threads with that big an impact.

Howdy! I'd hit it with some heat for sure, but then soak it well with a penetrant like PB-Blaster or Kano. If the electrode is out, then you don't have to drill to fit a good easy-out into it. Hammer it in good, and then remove with a breaker bar, not a impact wrench. Sounds like the PO used LockTite or way over torqued them. John

2x, pull the head if not a somewhat small problem will be a huge one. Even if you get them out with the easy out you will have no way of knowing if a metal shaving was created and fell into the cylinder.

Thought I'd follow up on the resolution - tried everything I was comfortable with (heat, cold, various penetrants), no luck.

Finally pulled the head, took it to a machinist, had it back in an hour, no issues, threads cleaned and chased with the correct tap.

Out of pocket $60 for the machine work...

so few people have this problem...........................NEVER heard of this before...

must have been severely over tightened

I have never had it happen even on 4 wheelers and old tractors. I would have pulled the head too. MIke

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom