Twin Stick Splitcase issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Figured this might get some more traction here that the 70 series section

Has anyone else converted a vacuum splitcase to manual (twin stick in my case) and had a problem with the detent on the 2wd/4wd shift shaft? I drilled out that boss and tapped it for M15x1.5, inserted the ball, spring and plug but my shifter has zero detent action. So far it hasn't popped out of 4wd but it easily could by the feel of it.

Did anyone else have this issue?

EDIT: I am sure that the shift shaft is installed correctly because when I work the linkage by hand from underneath it does have *some* light detent feel. I guess I just have to find a stiffer spring?

Last edited:
The firmness of engagement of any detent ball shaft or lever is determined by the strength of the spring and the depth of the notch the ball jumps into.

is there a groove in the shaft for the ball to go into?

is there a groove in the shaft for the ball to go into?
Yeah I used the shaft from theAA twin stick kit. Looked identical to the factory manual shift one with the detent notches. I must need a longer/stiffer spring is all it could be then.

If anyone was curious, the issue is resolved somehow. when I first installed the ball, spring and plug I used a small thin fiber washer since the boss on the tcase was not machine faced so i thought the washer would help it not leak.. I took the ball, spring and plug out and made sure that the shift shaft was installed correctly (it was) and reinstalled the items with no fiber washer. Definite detent action now.

I'm not sure how the little fiber washer made that much of a difference but apparently it did.

I’m a total pleb in this regard but my cousin-in-law @Will Van has a converted twin-stick in his 75. I think @orangefj45 did the work? Either of them will probably have some fine input for you.

Edit: didn’t read enough. Glad you got it sorted!

Last edited:
Glad you got it figured out.

Happy to help.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom