Turning fj60 into an fj45 and then some (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

workingdog

GOLD Star
Threads
So, first of all, be gentle. Second of all, I realize this is crazy and a bad idea. But I'm doing it anyway. So, if you think this is stupid or I should be doing something else ... well ... I have no f*cks to give.

I'm going to take my fj60 and throw the body away, buy an Aqualu stretched fj45 cab and stuff it on, and build a flat bed for the back. Like I said, I know it's a little nuts, but like Don Quixote, I'mma gonna do it.

What I'm looking for, right now, is advice on what I need to keep from the 60 as I part it out. I've got a really nice T100 booster and master cylinder - keep or sell? Steering column - keep or sell? Radiator - keep or sell? Anything else I should be thinking about as I tear down the 60?

Well, at some point, I'm going to have to pull the body off the chassis and get rid of it. In the process of pulling it all apart, I need to what I can sell and what I can keep. I'm not really in a position to keep it all

Okay, pics coming soon.

I think I know what the 60 body looks like...it's a CA rust free shell with minimal damage right?

Yes, yes it is

Pictures
IMG_4144.jpg

IMG_4145.jpg

IMG_4146.jpg

IMG_4147.jpg

Oh its that one. I was hoping I would get the circumstances to swoop in and buy that one. A shame to tear it down I think. But anyway sounds like your mind is set. The steering column can be kept but I've always kind of thought a fj60 column looks kind of clunky in a 40. The booster and master should fit. Radiator would be a very tight fit but may work.​

Thanks white stripe. Appreciate the confirmation.

did you ever figure out the issue with the leaf springs?

I had a donor 60 when I started on my 40 as well. I did use all of what you said, except the radiator. The column and all. And in addition, the axles, springs, mounts, t-case. With an Aqualu 3/4 tub 10 in stretch. I think it came out good. I have only had it on the road for a couple tanks of fuel, so still working out bugs. I should have a few pics on my build. If you want to see anything. Let me know. I did have to modify the wiring for the turn signal to match the 40 wiring. And I put the 40 turn signal lever on the 60 column.

@fjdiesel - thanks, I'll look for your build thread

@cruisermatt - Nope, when we do this build, we are going to link it front and rear.

@fjdiesel - thanks, I'll look for your build thread

@cruisermatt - Nope, when we do this build, we are going to link it front and rear.

why not start with the frame Aqualu makes for their FJ45's then? Heavier duty and new, and nothing to cut of grind off.

Well, that's a good idea. I hadn't thought of that. How can I make that my idea?

I guess I should call them, but I'm wondering how the mounts work with the 12" stretch cab???

Ya aqualu frames look really beefy. And they aren't too expensive. They will customize them however you want. When I ordered my tub from them I did almost all of my communication via email so they knew in writing exactly what I wanted and no wires got crossed. I think typically you have to weld on the body mount brackets on the aqualu frames. But they will let you know I'm sure if u ask.

And then you just need axles and a power train and you can avoid parting your 60 out so @White Stripe can buy it! :)

If he has axles and a power train, he can have it - although without a hood, fender, bumper, valance, etc.

Updates?

Waiting on a space to do the project in. Pieces of the 60 body have been going away. It's barely drive-able. Still going to be months before we are even close to having a place to the work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom