Turner,s BJ60 resto (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My neighbor's kid, Turner bought a 1983 bj60. Pretty rusted out as typical here and Canada. Here are a few pics.

20191124_130149.jpg

20191126_171222.jpg

20200424_170854.jpg

Not body work guys at all, but the kid is an apprentice welder. :) We are not looking for perfect, but are doing it up to a nice trail rig standard. Chopping rockers and rear quarters. A bit of trial and error going on for sure. It will keep us both busy for the next while.

Last edited:
More before.

20191124_130213.jpg

20191124_132056.jpg

20191201_141445.jpg

Looks like we have a rear main leak. Anyone have tips on the best way to get to it. 3B with a 5spd. On the plus side the truck has no fenders, bumper or grill, interior or doors.

Last edited:
Let me be more specific. Do we take out the engine with the trans and t case or drop the tranny and t case out the bottom, or just remove the engine?

You need to remove the transmission from the engine to replace the rear main seal. Since the front is all apart I would pull the engine tranny and t-case as one unit and change the seal on the when it is sitting on the floor. It is a really good opportunity to replace the clutch as well if it worn. Some may say it is easier to just pull the trans. I would disagree when it comes to reassembling it though.

The injector pump diaphragm Is a good one too if engine is out..

taking it out in one piece will be the plan. Thanks for the replies. BTW how do I get the builds moniker added to the thread title?

The moderators will decide that based on the posts and progress on your thread. At least I think so anyway.

Sooo, fired it up cleaned up the engine and took it out for a drive sans doors, windows etc. No drip at the rear main, but I did find this leak on the drivers side. Head gasket?

sans.jpg

leak.jpg

Anyone have guess about the leak. There are not the usual signs, such as coolant leak, usage, bubbles in rad etc.

I would doubt it's a head gasket leak. You might want to post that question over in the diesel section.

Thanks. I will ask over there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom