turn the key....nothing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
'91 FJ80 wouldn't start after driving for 10 minutes. Turned the key and the normal dash lights came on, but the starter would not engage. No click or anything, just silence. This happened once last month when I was getting it out of storage. I turned the key on and off several times and the starter finially engaged and the engine started. This time I wasn't so lucky. I had to have it towed home. Any suggestions other than doing a search which I already did? I read about starters sticking on, no dash lights, no check engine light, etc. My truck seems just fine as far as cel and other start up lights until I turn the key to the final position to engage the starter. Any help would be appreciated.

Probably starter contacts, look in the 80 series faq (sticky thread at the top of the 80 series forum). Fix it before they stick in the on position, and burn your truck down! :doh: :)

Thanks for your help. decavo, where is the fusable link located? Heading out in the rain to check it out.

Here's what I've discovered: Turn key to run, disconnect black/red stripe wire on solinoid, connect jumper from solinoid to positive post of battery, engine starts. Connect a volt meter to black/red stripe wire going into solinoid and turn key to start position, no volts. Sounds like it is the ignition switch, but all this talk about a fusable link has me wondering. I can't seem to find a fuseable link that is related to the ignition wire.
Thanks,
Tusk

On my 80 there is some kind of contact, switch or whatever that won't allow my starter to crank if my shift lever isn't correctly set in PARK or NEUTRAL. If it's off even a little bit, my starter just won't crank. I'm wondering if the same might be the case in gas models.

If it happens again, try fiddling with the shift lever and try the starter again.

Kalawang

It is fairly common with many Toyota models, maybe not with 91-92, not sure.

Double check the 50amp fusable link. Lowtideride had the same problem. He looked at the 50Amps FL closer and found it was bad.

The FL is located on the drivers side inside the small fuse box.

I have it narrowed down to the Neutral Start Switch. It starts in Neutral only now. I swear I tried that last night before I called for a tow! If it is in Park, I get nothing. Put it in Neutral and it starts every time. Anyone know how to disable the NSS? Anyone know where on a '91 the NSS is located? I crawled under and tried to get a peek at the top of the transmission but there's not much room to see.
Thanks for all of the advise.
Tusk

If anyone is interested in bypassing the NSS send me a message.
Tusk

If anyone is interested in bypassing the NSS send me a message.
Tusk

Kift the little square on the shift consule and shove a screwdriver down in the hole

I guess I don't understand what anything on the shift console has to do with a bad neutral safety switch.

Maybe it's differnt on a 91, you can bypass the nuetral safety switch through that hole.

I had the exact same thing happen, the starter went dead when hot but works fine cold. Next time it happens, whack it with a piece of 2x4 or similar and if it starts OK then your contacts are sticking and you need to overhaul or rebuild your starter. This whacking business is a diagnosis aid and maybe a temporary workaround, not a long term solution.

I had the exact same thing happen, the starter went dead when hot but works fine cold. Next time it happens, whack it with a piece of 2x4 or similar and if it starts OK then your contacts are sticking and you need to overhaul or rebuild your starter. This whacking business is a diagnosis aid and maybe a temporary workaround, not a long term solution.

Good info.; everyone should know the "whack the starter" trick.

But, did you read post #11?? ;)

Curtis

Bypassing the NSS causes the cruise control to stop working! Looks like a toggle switch on the dash might be a better solution. I'm just trying to avoid paying for a new neutral start switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom