Turn Signal Stalk Repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.plusonesurf.com
Hi All,

Been busy with other projects but really enjoy this site when I have the chance. I searched the archives for a repair to the 1975 style turn signal stalk that attaches to the fender.

For some time the DS signal was loose, but the other day it just "fell off" DANG IT!!!:mad: The local law is pretty strict around here so I had to get it replaced. Being the cheap guy that I am, I wondered if I could fix it instead. This is what I came up with:

Here's the damage-
April16th1.jpg

NOTE: the stalk part is upside-down to show the damage. The cup actually bolts to the front fender-
April16th2.jpg

My guess it the original hollow tube was threaded, it houses the wires for the signal-
April16th3.jpg
This is the view looking from inside the signal housing. The gold disk is the top of the hollow tube bolt
that connects down into the fender.

My plan was to remove the corroded hollow tube with some new similar stock,

George
April16th1.jpg
April16th2.jpg
April16th3.jpg

I wasn't able to acquire the exact same part in short time so I could still drive my Pig. So I improvised-
April16th4.jpg
This is 1/2 inch hollow round stock from a lamp shop on Flea-Bay, the part was only a buck for 3 feet, of course the shipping was like 8 bucks (I bought lock nuts too);)

April16th5.jpg
First step was to drill the head off the failed tube bolt using a 1/2 inch drill bit-

April16th6.jpg
With the components apart I figured the new stock should be about 2 inches long.

George
April16th4.jpg
April16th5.jpg
April16th6.jpg

Last edited:
I bought lock nuts with the hollow threaded stock,
April16th7.jpg
So I fastened the new part by putting a lock nut on each side of the 2 Stalk pieces (and using red thread lock)

April16th8.jpg
the view from inside the signal looking down,

April16th9.jpg
All ready to bolt back on my Pig so I don't get busted!:doh:
(a coat of POR 15 on the internal threads might not hurt!)

this is a great site!!!
Thanks so much,
George
April16th7.jpg
April16th8.jpg
April16th9.jpg

That's what I had in mind for mine when it breaks. The threaded hollow tube is table lamp hardware for those who don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom