Turn Signal Problem --

Spike Strip

Game-Over
SILVER Star

My turn signals were intermittently going out, so thought I'd replace the flasher.

When removing the flasher, I saw that a jumper wire had been installed from the 20A Rear Window Defogger fuse, to the + terminal (#3, in pic) of the flasher. I removed it, thinking it has something to do with the blown fuse link I had found and repaired (that also had been bypassed).

Now, with a good flasher (tested) I'm not getting any turn signals or Hazard lights. Jumper seems to be to get power to the circuit ...

How do I start to look for why it's not getting power? I checked all fuses. Tested Flasher.

Sorry, but auto electric is my very weak point.

:):)

EDIT: Getting power at the Turn Signal fuse...
turn signal flasher.JPG

Last edited:

MrMoMo

That's not rust, it's Canadian patina...

My best, and the advice I always give when troubleshooting electrical... Split the circuit in half and test one side.

Start at the fuse. Do you have power there? yes? move to the flasher - do you have power there? yes, go to the tail light, have power there? yes - then it's your ground.

Start at the fuse - power? no - then it's between the battery and the fuse
Have power at the fuse, but not at the flasher? then you know it's between the fuse and the flasher - so what is between there? the switch...
Have power at the flasher but not at the light - then it's the wire between the flasher and the light...

Chances are you have a bad ground somewhere... but split the system up to find the problem...

Spike Strip

Game-Over
SILVER Star

MMM, that's great advice -- I have power at the fuse but not the flasher... I'm leaning toward the switch... Which would explain why someone put a jumper wire there ...
Am going to test the switch tomorrow.

Thanks much,

S.

Spike Strip

Game-Over
SILVER Star

It was the switch -- Plugged a borrowed one into the harness and I GOT BLINKING LIGHTS !!

Can't see anything obviously wrong with the switch -- maybe a short?

Thanks for the help MrMM...

Top Bottom