Turn Signal Problem on FJ40. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Josie'sLandCruiser

Stop calling it a "FJ."
Threads
Hi All:

I have a 1974 FJ40 that has exhibited a parculiar problem recently - the brake lights work, the tail lights work, the left turn signals work, but the right turn signals won't flash! Both the front and rear get power (they light-up), but won't flash!

Is there a "flasher" unit on a 40 Series? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Alan
Seattle

That is weird, my '71 is doing the same thing. Maybe you have the same Gremlin that I do.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on both our dilema.

yes there is i have one on a 75 fj40 (usually means flasher is going) actually the toy flasher was expensive . i just made an adapter ,or you could cut off the plug and buy a cheapo flasher from the autoparts store and plug it on and away ya go . i beat my toy one and it worked for awhile but once i hooked up the boat trailer .it would stop flashing .i ended up using an electronic one from the parts store and adapting my wireas to plug onto it .works great

If it flashes on one side, then you know that the flasher unit is working. This leaves the turn signal switch, the signal bulbs and the wiring. Oh yeah, then there is also the matter of a possible poor ground.

I would start with checking all dual filament bulbs. Then checking for good ground.

Hey,
Check your bulb numbers, I don't have mine handy, but if the bulb wattage is too low the flasher will not operate at all. Try switching the left bulbs to the right and vice-versa. If the problem follows the bulbs.... if not it's probably the flasher.
otter :cool:
p.s. does the emergency flasher activate both sides when selected on?

I am with otter. Most more than likely a bad ground.

Hi All:

Thanks for the responses!

-Alan

Josie'sLandCruiser said:
Hi All:

I have a 1974 FJ40 that has exhibited a parculiar problem recently - the brake lights work, the tail lights work, the left turn signals work, but the right turn signals won't flash! Both the front and rear get power (they light-up), but won't flash!

Is there a "flasher" unit on a 40 Series? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Alan
Seattle

I used to have the same problem and the ground on the right signal was not connected right. Check your grounds (on both left and right) and see if that does it.

- Rico.

I also have a '74 FJ-40. I had this same problem with my turn signals last weekend. It was due to an open in the wiring on the hot side. The front signal would light, but the rear would not. Also, they will not flash if the engine is not running. I think that is due to poor voltage over old wires. Your problem def sounds like bad grounds. Whatever the problem is I hope you figure it out easily. Bad wiring can be tough to dig through.

'74 Fj-40
4 wheel Discs
'86 2F Engine

definitely ground issue......
if you want to make sure run a piece of wire from the light to a piece of clean steel on the body if they start working it's a ground problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom