Turn signal issue...gets power though (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1996 80 series. The passenger rear turn signal is not working. All other work.
I was working on trailer lights using the Hopkins kits, so no cutting. I unplugged all the hopkins parts and put it back to stock to diagnose.
The odd thing, is that the socket is getting power and has ground connection. I checked using a multi meter. I swapped bulbs from the other side and the other bulb does not work in the passenger side socket. I did not check to see if the turn signal was working before I started my project.
How can it show power and ground on a multi-meter and not be working. Any suggestions? Bad socket? how do I replace just the socket? I can solder in a new one but would need a PN

What happens to the other blinkers when you insert/remove the bulb? Does that flashing rate change or is there a change in brightness?

The contacts inside the socket may not be contacting those on the bulb. Could be a broken spring behind the contacts.

What happens to the other blinkers when you insert/remove the bulb? Does that flashing rate change or is there a change in brightness?

The contacts inside the socket may not be contacting those on the bulb. Could be a broken spring behind the contacts.

The left turn signals work normally. The right rapid flash. The front right works but blinks fast.

Rapid flashing indicates a high current draw and some type of short circuit. You didn't answer my question adequately about observations inserting and removing the bulb. Also try removing the front bulb to see if that changes the rate of blinking. What happens with the four-way flashers?

Rapid flashing indicates a high current draw and some type of short circuit. You didn't answer my question adequately about observations inserting and removing the bulb. Also try removing the front bulb to see if that changes the rate of blinking. What happens with the four-way flashers?
Fixed it..... hopefully this helps someone else.
I pulled the bulb from the drivers side and it blinked fast with the left turn signal.
4 way flashers worked and flashed normally, except for the right rear.
Double checked the volts on both right and left turn signals to ensure they were equal....they were.

I pulled a different bulb....the backup light bulb and put it in the turn signal socket.....it worked. With the bulb working the blinking is normal.

The bulb was slightly loose in the socket. Gently Squeezing the socket improved the connection and it works. The drivers side light assembly was obviously replaced at some point. The passenger side looks original.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom