Turn Signal Indicators? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.themirrorpool.com
Can someone post up the wiring diagram for Turn Signal Indicator lights (dash) for a '71?

I've checked the bulbs and they're fine, just don't light up when the the turn signals do. Are they just wired into the same flasher as the lights or do they go through something different?

Thanks

your flasher output wires into your turn signal switch, then there are 4 wires that go from turn signal switch to the front left, front right, rear left, and rear right. The dash indicators splice into the front left and front wire. The dash indicators are one wire, and I think they are grounded when they plug into the instrument cluster. My guess is bad ground.

check the light by jumpering it to hot wire and jumpering another wire from the socket to ground. If the light is good, then it is either not getting hot or doesnt have ground when wired into its correct location. One of mine on my 71 required an attached ground wire by the previous owner. I am going to try to make a good ground connection the way it was intended, but if that doesn't work I will leave the extra wires.

Grounds will get you every time.

Can someone post up the wiring diagram for Turn Signal Indicator lights (dash) for a '71?

Are they just wired into the same flasher as the lights or do they go through something different?

Thanks

You can find a '71 wiring diagram in "Tech Links" on this site. There is a link at the top of the page.

The hazards and turn signals use the same flasher, but different power circuits because the hazards always work and the turn signals only work when the ignition switch is on.

The hazards and turn signals use the same flasher, but different power circuits because the hazards always work and the turn signals only work when the ignition switch is on.

It's worth noting that this is done by some craziness within the hazard switch itself. The hot and ign circuits go to this switch first, which will either supply ign power to the blinkers or hot power to the flashers depending on the switch setting.

I'm sure this has about nothing to do with your problem though.

I installed all new wiring with new headlight switch, new turn signal switch, new flasher, new lights, the old hazard switch, and new brake switch. I can get all turn signals and brake lights to work, but not when I wire through the hazard switch. I'm having a heck of a time getting hazards and hazard switch wired correctly - its 9 wires that are unmarked.

This weekend I am going to wire the turn signals, flasher and brake independent of the hazard.

Although this year had one flasher, I am going to add a second one just for the hazards, and wire a two position switch as a hazard switch with flasher and run the output to all four lights. In other words I am separating the hazards from turn signals.

Not sure it will work but I'll keep you posted.

I installed all new wiring with new headlight switch, new turn signal switch, new flasher, new lights, the old hazard switch, and new brake switch. I can get all turn signals and brake lights to work, but not when I wire through the hazard switch. I'm having a heck of a time getting hazards and hazard switch wired correctly - its 9 wires that are unmarked.

This weekend I am going to wire the turn signals, flasher and brake independent of the hazard.

Although this year had one flasher, I am going to add a second one just for the hazards, and wire a two position switch as a hazard switch with flasher and run the output to all four lights. In other words I am separating the hazards from turn signals.

Not sure it will work but I'll keep you posted.

You can find a '71 wiring diagram in "Tech Links" on this site. There is a link at the top of the page.

Thanks for the link to Tech Links at the top. Never followed that one before. I was looking for link here *** F A Q *** FREQUENTLY ** ASKED ** QUESTIONS *** F A Q *** But looking at the wiring diagram it's like my 68 is. There are two flashers not one. Which makes sense. The hazards use twice as many lamps which would cause the lights to blink twice as fast. I do believe the 71 turn signal switch is one plug as compared to the spaghetti nightmare the 68 has. The wiring in my 68 was completely hosed when I bought it in 74. The final repair was the fuse for the hazards which is a inline fues in the harness. The local dealer quoted me a fortune to replace it claiming that they had to pull the dash apart. Later found it easy to get to simply removing door for the vent in the center of the cowl. :cheers:

How did it work out? I used a diagram from Coolerman's website that shows the wiring and the internal shorting bars/blocks for the 71 hazard switch. This allows both hazards and turns to work with only one flasher. Also used his diagram to figure out a good way to ring out the hazard switch to figure out which pin was which of the 9 that it has. Let me know if you still need help.

How did it work out? I used a diagram from Coolerman's website that shows the wiring and the internal shorting bars/blocks for the 71 hazard switch. This allows both hazards and turns to work with only one flasher. Also used his diagram to figure out a good way to ring out the hazard switch to figure out which pin was which of the 9 that it has. Let me know if you still need help.

Do you have a direct link for this diagram from Coolerman's site? Also curious why you would want to do away with one of the flashers? They are different flashers. One is designed to handle double the lamps. If you use the one for the turn signal it will flash to fast on hazards. If you use the hazards it will flash to slow on turn signals. It's probably worth printing out this diagram and putting it into your glovebox. That way the next owner won't be starting a thread "What did the PO do to my wiring" I know that one of the first things I do to a old FJ is straighten out the wiring and try to figure out what the PO was trying to do with their mods.

the weblink to Coolerman's site is in his sigline, do a search for his username, click into one of this posts and there you go

the weblink to Coolerman's site is in his sigline, do a search for his username, click into one of this posts and there you go

Found his site no problem just didn't see a section on converting to a single flasher on 71 FJ40.:meh:

Was hoping for a direct link. Most of his wiring stuff is about going back to stock.

The 71 only uses one stock flasher. The turns and hazards wire together with the brake switch in an interesting setup that is explained well in Coolerman's diagram. I'll see if I have it here at work, otherwise I can post from home tonight.

In a nutshell - there is one flasher whose input and output is wired to the hazard switch. When the hazard is in the OFF position, then it has internal shorting bars that routes the constant voltage and flashing voltage through it (flasher input and output) to the turn signal switch. It is basically like it is not in the circuit at all due to the shorts when it is off. When the hazards are in the ON position, then the output of the flasher that goes into the hazard switch is not routed to the turn signal switch, but instead to all four outputs on the hazard switch.

If you study his diagram closely, you will understand how it works with only one flasher when everything is wired correctly. I finished mine last weekend and everything behaves as expected.

The only issue I had was that the mating connector to the hazard switch has 9 wires hanging from it, with no identification at the terminal which pin is which. Again, using coolerman's diagram I have a fool-proof way of ringing out the switch with a multimeter to determine what the 9 wires are.

Let me know if you need that detail.

The confusion may be a mid year wiring change. I know Mark was searching for all the info he could find on 71 wiring a few years ago. The link you posted is 2/71. This link from the tech link at the top page is just listed as 71 and clearly shows two flashers. http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/72fj40-wire/71fj40_wire.gif. Never had to mess with my 76 or 79 flasher wiring and my 73 which I've never run (price was to good to pass up) is a wiring nightmare. My 68 and 70 both have two flashers and everthing else is pre hazards(68). But by the sounds of it the early two flasher style would be easier to deal with.

Mine's a 10/70 and only had one flasher, but who knows what the dreaded "PO" did. I was about one step from wiring mine up with a second flasher when I couldn't get it to work, but I finally got it worked out when I found Mark's diagram.

In the end, I guess it only matters that they all work.

Here's what I used for my 6/71. i think this is the same one as on Coolerman's site.

Clean71fj40_wire.jpg

I did notice Coolermans link shows a schematic as compared to a diagram. I need to do a little checking but I believe 71 was around the end of the diagrams shortly after that they were schematics which are better for understanding how things work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom