Turn Signal Flasher (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After reading thru some of the turn signal post, I was wondering if only changing the instrument cluster indicator lights to L.E.D.'s can effect the flasher unit. Would only the indicator lights have an effect on the heat required to open and close the flasher? I know have turn signal that randomly function. I also changed out the headlight switch light and was wondering if I could have loosened the flasher plug. Are the no load flashers that are mentioned a plug in or are there any wire harness mods required?

Thanks Dave:hmm:

Whatever truck you have , the 2 signal bulbs that you have in the front and rear will draw enough current to bypass the resistor in the flasher. The heat that you mentioned is the result of the current flow in the resistive wire of the flasher which will bend and close or open (depending on the type of flasher that you have) the contacts to make a less resistive path for current to flow to the bulbs.
The No load blinkers are for use with LED lights , since they require low current to emmit light.
You have bad contact points in either side of your signal circit. Start at the fuses and trace the circit back ,cleaning and making sure the contacts are good.
Another reason it could be the flasher is failing.
The flasher can be tested by wiring it to 2 27W bulbs connected in parallel and in series to the flasher.
If this is an FJ40 , what type of tail lights do you have, and does the Haz work?
The headlight switch has nothing to do with the signal circit aside from the dimmer switch sharing the same fork or whatever.
The no load blinker is not that hard to wire if you decide to go to LEDS, but at this stage you need to find out what the problem with your current signals is.

Last edited:
I've just put LED indicator in my FJ45 and found that they will not flash. I also changed the instrument cluster light to LED bulbs and i have a feeling that this might be the problem! When i put the indicators on or the hazards they just stay turned on.

Just wondering If this was like your situation and how you fixed it, or if anyone else has heard about this happening and know how to fix it.

Thanks

I've just put LED indicator in my FJ45 and found that they will not flash. I also changed the instrument cluster light to LED bulbs and i have a feeling that this might be the problem! When i put the indicators on or the hazards they just stay turned on.

Just wondering If this was like your situation and how you fixed it, or if anyone else has heard about this happening and know how to fix it.

Thanks
I don't know if it was a coincidence or not, but I also changed out the binker and gauge cluster lights to led in my 77 FJ and had problems. My binker and flashers would randomely work. It may have to do with the minimum amount of power that it takes to light the leds. I believe that the load is what makes the older type mechanical relays open and close. I went to the Toyota dealer and bought a new flasher relay. It mounts under the driver side kick panel by the vent. The new Flasher is different then the original and they give you instructions and an adapter harness to install it. I believe that the old relay is mechanical and the new one electric. I haven't had a problem since. CCOT has a picture of the newer relay in the electrical section.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

I think you are right but i'm going to check by increasing the load before i buy a new relay.

Fixed the problem and it was only a matter of fitting a electronic flasher. very quick an easy and cheap, found one on eBay for $17.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom