turn signal Flasher / Hazard Flasher (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My fj40 has a build date of Oct 71. Can someone advise if there is a separate flasher relay for the turn signals and the hazards, or do they operate off of the same relay.

thank you

If the original wiring is still intact and nobody's monkeyed with it, yes the '71 has separate flashers for both circuits. They're both very picky about having good grounds where they're bolted to the firewall, and at each light. Turn signal flasher will be under near your clutch and I believe the hazard one is tucked under the dash probably in about the middle of the firewall. There's also a sneaky inline fuse between the power to the hazard switched tucked away back there.

Coolerman has an excellent library he makes available.

A color coded version that'll probably help you picture it better is here. Starting with power from your 15a fuse (always check the fuses first) the power goes from fuse > turn flasher > split to turn signal switch & hazard (plus hidden inline fuse) and hazard > hazard flasher. So if your turn signals work but your hazards don't, start there and work your way down the line.

If the original wiring is still intact and nobody's monkeyed with it, yes the '71 has separate flashers for both circuits. They're both very picky about having good grounds where they're bolted to the firewall, and at each light. Turn signal flasher will be under near your clutch and I believe the hazard one is tucked under the dash probably in about the middle of the firewall. There's also a sneaky inline fuse between the power to the hazard switched tucked away back there.

Coolerman has an excellent library he makes available.

A color coded version that'll probably help you picture it better is here. Starting with power from your 15a fuse (always check the fuses first) the power goes from fuse > turn flasher > split to turn signal switch & hazard (plus hidden inline fuse) and hazard > hazard flasher. So if your turn signals work but your hazards don't, start there and work your way down the line.
You guys on this forum are the best. Thank you very much. I have the diagram you note, but received conflicting advice from a vendor.

You guys on this forum are the best. Thank you very much. I have the diagram you note, but received conflicting advice from a vendor.

that's why you should seek out a Factory Trained SUPPORTING VENDOR ,

then this is the only correct by the microfiche and FSM consultation remarks you will / would have received ...

by the book ...

1 flasher .......

simple eazy peezy

please review the link below for some further solid tech and info etc ...

1613133444441.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom