Turn Signal Canceling E-72 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How exactly does the signal canceling work on the pre 9/72 assembly?

Some imagery to help.

fj40_turn_singal_cancel.jpg

1st image: Looking down the red dot indicates where the cancel pin sits on the steering wheel.
2nd image: Left turn indicated.
3rd image: Turning the wheel left means the pin hits the lever. This doesn't really do anything. How strong are these spings supposed to be?

Or is it supposed to cancel by hitting here? On the bottom edge of the lever? If so that takes an immense amount of force. I don't think it's this. Honestly not sure the pin even hits this. But my pin is a bit loose so maybe its flexing out of the way?
Photoshop_2020-12-31_10-14-31.png

Last edited:
I was just looking at this last night. I think that the steering wheel maybe 180 out with the pin located in pic 2 between the two actuators I think it would work correctly. I also noticed on the back side of the steering wheel 180 from the pin is another spot for the pin that has not been drilled. I was going to drill the new spot and try it but have not got to it yet.

I think I figured it out. So the cancellation happens on the return of the wheel. The pin will pass easily on the turn and on the return press against the lever and push the lever down.

Photoshop_2020-12-31_13-17-49.png

I think my problem may be that my turn signal level may have worn too much and it's losing leverage on the return. As it's not easy at all to get it to do this. Just jams the wheel.

IMG_0575.jpg

Seems like maybe a new lever would solve this. Or updating the whole assembly.

SWITCH ASSY, TURN SIGNAL
84310-60021 (03/1969 - 05/1970)
84310-60022 (06/1970 - 08/1971)

Last edited:
I think I figured it out. So the cancellation happens on the return of the wheel. The pin will pass easily on the turn and on the return press against the lever and push the lever down.

View attachment 2540468

I think my problem may be that my turn signal level may have worn too much and it's losing leverage on the return. As it's not easy at all to get it to do this. Just jams the wheel.

View attachment 2540474

Seems like maybe a new lever would solve this. Or updating the whole assembly.

SWITCH ASSY, TURN SIGNAL
84310-60021 (03/1969 - 05/1970)
84310-60022 (06/1970 - 08/1971)

A lot of folks just file the nub down/remove because it does cause the "locking" of the steering wheel due to being old and worn. There have been threads about it being a safety factor, @65swb45 has chimed in on this subject in other threads.

Last edited:
A lot of folks just file the nub down because it does cause the "locking" of the steering wheel due to being old and worn. There have been threads about it being a safety factor, @65swb45 has chimed in on this subject in other threads.

Hmm, I have noticed this. I always thought it was my steering wheel catching on that turn signal stalk. It has a crack so figured it was snagging somehow. But this makes sense now that I have it all apart.

Hmm, I have noticed this. I always thought it was my steering wheel catching on that turn signal stalk. It has a crack so figured it was snagging somehow. But this makes sense now that I have it all apart.
I ordered a new turn signal switch, it does hold in place better, looks better too. I haven't had it freeze up on me in a turn since doing the switch. The switch isn't hard to swap out but does take some figuring (we have a 3-on-tree). The signal switch does slide over the center (rounded edge) "horn contact ring". The horn wire connected coming out the bottom of steering shaft housing on passenger side of housing. Also look at the little horn brush spring (looks like an ink pen spring) there is a little metal rod at the other end approx 1/2" long. It should not have a groove. It should be almost flat. but due to wear over 50 years it creates a little hook that should be filed down.

Here is a little reference and pics: Horn Troubleshooting - http://www.globalsoftware-inc.com/coolerman/fj40/8.htm

I did pull my pin because of the locking up issue

I ordered a new turn signal switch, it does hold in place better, looks better too. I haven't had it freeze up on me in a turn since doing the switch. The switch isn't hard to swap out but does take some figuring (we have a 3-on-tree). The signal switch does slide over the center (rounded edge) "horn contact ring". The horn wire connected coming out the bottom of steering shaft housing on passenger side of housing. Also look at the little horn brush spring (looks like an ink pen spring) there is a little metal rod at the other end approx 1/2" long. It should not have a groove. It should be almost flat. but due to wear over 50 years it creates a little hook that should be filed down.

Here is a little reference and pics: Horn Troubleshooting - http://www.globalsoftware-inc.com/coolerman/fj40/8.htm

I don't actually have a horn spring or contact. Guessing these are unobtanium. Wonder if I can modify another horn pin spring to work? Maybe something like 84312-32010
chrome_2020-12-31_16-41-03.png

That looks like it would work with a bit of modification very doable 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom