turn signal and brake light failure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was driving yesterday when I noticed my Left turn signal indicator light in my 71 FJ40 was dimly flashing before making a turn. A few minutes later I noticed both indicators were dark and there was indication from the volt meter that there any flashing flashing. When I got home I noticed the brake lights were out, too. I checked both fuses feeding the brake light switch and turn signal switch and found power flowing through fuses. I pulled the cluster and get no power to the brake light switch and none to the hot wire at the turn signal switch (ignition on). I've not checked the flasher power source. I replaced the 9-pole 4-way flasher switch with a used on over a year ago.
Anybody know if any single circuit can knock out both brakes and turn signals both?

All I can say is on my 70 it was a bit confusing to sort out but IIRC the power for hazard and brake lights funneled thru the blinker switch , I have found the fuses good but the terminals will sometimes cause a voltage drop due to corrosion, loose, whatever and the flasher will fail as it try's to run on the low voltage or just won't flash. I bet it's the hazard flasher power, I think it's all down stream from that if it makes sense.

All I can say is on my 70 it was a bit confusing to sort out but IIRC the power for hazard and brake lights funneled thru the blinker switch , I have found the fuses good but the terminals will sometimes cause a voltage drop due to corrosion, loose, whatever and the flasher will fail as it try's to run on the low voltage or just won't flash. I bet it's the hazard flasher power, I think it's all down stream from that if it makes sense.
I appreciate your input. Thanks, I'll check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom