Turn signal/ Alternator electrical short issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need some help diagnosing an electrical short. I keep blowing turn signal fuses and have isolated the short to the white/green (WG) wire on the alternator. When I disconnect the WG wire from the alternator, everything works perfect (turn signals, hazards, brake lights, and tail lights) and the fuse doesn't blow. Connect that wire and turn the key to ACC and the fuse blows. I've checked continuity from the alternator to voltage regulator, to fuse block, to hazard switch, and to ignition switch...with no issues found. I also removed the alternator and had it tested at Advance Auto and supposedly, it tested OK. However, with the motor running at idle, I'm only reading 11.98 V across the battery. That is low. Possible that the alternator is bad, and maybe and the cause of my short? Anything else I'm missing? Very frustrating, I'm only 1 wire away from having this rig ready for the road!

Sounds like the short is in the alt.

Voltage is way low, should be 13-14 volts at idle. What the voltage at the alt?

what year 40? is the regulator external(mounted on firewall or mounted on alt) or internal(like you can't see it)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom