Turn Key...Nothing!!

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by Russ in California, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Russ in California

Russ in California

Media:
    Albums:
    I was filling up my 85 FJ60 at Costco this afternoon and did as I usually do, pull up, turn truck off, set brake, pull hood latch. Then buz the credit card, put the nozzel in, set the pump and up to the front to check the oil and coolant level. Ok here. Shut hood and finish filling up, put the pump back, cap the tank, get in and note mileage. Go to turn the beast on and when I turn the key...nothing. No lights, no guages no starter...nothing. WTF just happened. I tried the key a few more times and no juice at all. This has NEVER happend before. I was just under the hood, could I have touched something wrong like I HAVEN'T done the last hundred times or so. As I pull the hood latch out to check under the hood all the power comes back and I'm able to start up. And no trouble since. WTF? This was a total power failure because the radio lost all of the settings just like when you disconnect the battery.
    Any clues guys?
    Thanks,
    Russ :cool:

2. lovetoski

lovetoski SILVER Star

I'm a fan of eliminating simple/cheap things first. Suggest you check the following:
    1. Battery terminals - clean 'em good.
    2. Starter cable.
    3. Ground connection to body and frame.

Based on the symptoms, I think it's something related to the battery, battery cables, battery ground, etc.

3. Mike S

Mike S

Sometimes - not often - the starter motor armature contacts the case and grounds. This produces the kind of problem you describe. Usually, a bang on the starter gets you going again.

M

4. Jman

Jman

I had the EXACT same thing happen to me at a gas station, got it rolling to get it out of the way, and for the heck of it shifted it into first and it all came back. Turned out one of the battery clamps, although tightened all the way, wasn't tight on the terminal (couldn't tell by looking at it, but it moved freely), and the "bump start" moved it enough to get better contact. I just put some copper in there and clamped it back on until I got a new battery (with thicker terminals).

5. gulp3000

gulp3000

My first guess would be as stated above. Loose terminal, positive cable hitting ground, ground cable not making a good connection at battery or other end.

6. Liam

Liam

Media:
    Albums:
    Battery terminals. Bet it happend when you slammed the hood

7. Russ in California

Russ in California

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks boys. I'll check out the battery and starter connections tonight.
    Hope this is a easy one. :mad:
    Russ :cool:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.