Turbocharging a 73 1F motor in FJ40. Should I do it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1971 FJ40 with a 73 1F engine in it. I’m just curious would it be possible to turbocharge that I6? Let me know of your opinion on it. If I did do it it would be all custom fab so any ideas would be great.

you totally should. I want to see you do it. I think you'll do a great job.

Think at the very least would go with a 74 F155 with the improved oil system if not a late 2F if your wanting to keep it a inline six. Years ago a vendor told me it didn't like the F-3F with only four main bearings on the crankshaft.

Think at the very least would go with a 74 F155 with the improved oil system if not a late 2F if your wanting to keep it a inline six. Years ago a vendor told me it didn't like the F-3F with only four main bearings on the crankshaft.
Yea it’s a F155 mixed up the two so it should be fine, thanks for the response though

Yea it’s a F155 mixed up the two so it should be fine, thanks for the response though

The F155 was made before 9/73 74 model. Only the 74 model year had the improved oiling system. Unless the oil filter is on the right side by the distributor it has the old oiling system.

Go for it: run the best, highest octane fuel you can buy, run it a bit richer than you might think necessary, pull a few degrees timing out of it, run the best oil you can get and keep the boost sensible.

On the side, buy a 2F and build it for boost.

A basic 4 main bearing six won't love boost but hopefully she stays together long enough for you to build a replacement engine.

Edit: would also suggest 2 heat ranges cooler for spark plugs

Last edited:
The F155 was made before 9/73 74 model. Only the 74 model year had the improved oiling system. Unless the oil filter is on the right side by the distributor it has the old oiling system.
It’s in the right side of the distributed so it must be a 9/73

it’s not worth doing unless it’s done to excess! i agree what could possibly go wrong!

i’d love to see what you come up with

Adapting your turbo will be your biggest issue, using a Sniper with turbo tuning to manage fuel is what I would use...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom