turbo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very nice writeup!

Someday I'm sure I'll end up snagging a 3L and 2LT-E turbo setup, and this is definitely helpful. Only thing I will do differently is not connect the water cooling to the turbo. I'm a believer that the turbo just heats up the water on big long hills (I have a lot of those), and idling to cool it before shutting down is just not a big deal, all things considered.

Dan

Great write-up, Steve! :beer:

Nice...keeping this in mind to upgrade my LJ72.

Very nice writeup!

Someday I'm sure I'll end up snagging a 3L and 2LT-E turbo setup, and this is definitely helpful. Only thing I will do differently is not connect the water cooling to the turbo. I'm a believer that the turbo just heats up the water on big long hills (I have a lot of those), and idling to cool it before shutting down is just not a big deal, all things considered.

Dan

I thought the same thing...but I asked a turbo rebuild shop and they did not recommend not hooking up the coolant lines as the turbos built that way may be more prone to damage as their centre sections are not built as beefy as non-cooled water turbos. Thought I would throw it out there, that was one shops opinion.
Great write up, agreed!

Last edited:
I agree Dan that idling before shut down is not as hard to do for most mature folks. I could see younger folks forgetting and shutting off with 1000f egts regularly and coking the turbo up, especially with regular oil. Synthetics can take much more abuse by far.

I don't think the turbo cooling sheds as much heat as you might think as oppose to bypassing coolant and sabotaging your systems flow. I think the turbo doesn't require much flow at all, but rather the presence of water in its jacket, thus minimal flow would suffice. I would add a restricter to the turbo coolant lines to minimize the flow stolen from the rest of the system. Might help with the hills. This comming from a guy who struggles with coolant issues on hills as well.

Great and detailed write up by the way. Very nice.
g

Links not working. I know this is 5 years old. but I have a 3L in a 89 Hilux and looking for everything I can on more info on turboing it.

Steve, do you have this saved anywhere else that you could share with us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom