Turbo vs Supercharged FJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have been following the progress of Whit's End plug and play turbo kit for the FJ80. Tempted to upgrade the LX450 with either turbo or a supercharger. Believe we have examples of both here in the KC area, correct? Would be curious to hear thoughts which would be a better approach to give the LX a little more muscle.

Have been following the progress of Whit's End plug and play turbo kit for the FJ80. Tempted to upgrade the LX450 with either turbo or a supercharger. Believe we have examples of both here in the KC area, correct? Would be curious to hear thoughts which would be a better approach to give the LX a little more muscle.

Depending on your year, must be 95-97 for the OBD2 to work well. For the 95-97 trucks, the turbo will outperform the supercharger, particularly at elevation. If you plan on being in the mountains a lot, turbo will outperform a supercharger every time, strictly due to physics. If you have seen the HP and Torque differences, it's huge.

All the details are in the thread if you can read past some of the extraneous BS.
Look up all the posts by Scottryana. He is VERY knowledgeable on this subject.

Don't get me wrong, superchargers definitely improve things, but the Wits' End Turbo will definitely be a nice upgrade.

I was actually on the list for about 38 seconds until I realized I have to pay for SOME of my kids' college........

I rode in Rob's turbo'd truck and I was hooked.......

This would be in a '97 LX450 with about 135k miles on the clock. So you noticed a significant difference riding in Rob's rig with the turbo? Rob, what issues do you see with the turbo? Related to your setup or turbos on the 80 in general?

I am a big fan of the supercharger. Have one on my rig and I sold lots of them to Mudders when Magnuson was making them.

Why do I like them.... Easy, quick install. Designed by Toyota engineers to work. Translation -- any dealership can work on it. Great additional power.

The only issue is they are unobtanium. No longer made and hard to find a used one - or the unicorn of finding one in a box in someones dusty shelf. Unless Magnuson does another run of them, this discussion is pretty moot.

K

Think I will see how the Whit's End Turbo Kit plays out. Sure we will learn a few things after the first dozen installs. Plus I'm dumping kid's tuition money into bumpers and sliders at the moment. Decided to repurpose this LX450 rig from stock low mile 80 to mild wheeler. Afraid to check out Rob's turbo rig because it might inspire an immediate purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom