TURBO under $2k (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just sent them a contact and hopefully the next to buy one and instant 60hp

You'll want to replace the turbo anyways. Why not just spend the money on quality manifold and piping and get a good turbo to mount to it? The last thing your 1fz wants is a hot supper of Chinese compressor wheel shrapnel.

Hope it works out. Since it's out of stock, this might be giving you time to do your homework on the kit and sleep on it. Also look into the prep for boosting your engine. For example, if you have any leaks the turbo will make the leak worse.

You'll want to replace the turbo anyways. Why not just spend the money on quality manifold and piping and get a good turbo to mount to it? The last thing your 1fz wants is a hot supper of Chinese compressor wheel shrapnel.
I’ve learned that some people are just obstinate and really want to learn the hard way and then disappear into the ether instead of owning their shame publicly.

There are so many things you can do with $1500 that would come way before this IMO. I mean if you can't afford to do forced induction correctly, you certainly can't afford to do it cx racing style.

These gentleman know a lot more than me on this subject (especially Joey since he had one and now builds turbos). Maybe just build upon the money that you have or if you still want this kit, be prepared to win or lose.

I've turboed a few things in my time and played with standalone management and all that stuff plenty. The amount of variables that get added by going forced induction is mind boggling. Even when you have everything top notch and dialed in there is always a monster lurking that can only be tamed with wrenches, blood and time you don't have. I can't imagine starting the game with a heap of Chinese parts to begin with, it's nauseating to even contemplate.

Stop trolling on my thread. This is a very good option for those who want to make quick power for the buck. Not bad option.
hiltonnn.JPG

What could possibly go wrong? Improperly sized Chinese turbos never grenade. No name wastegates always do a good job of controlling boost. 409 stainless is a wonderful material for turbo manifolds.

I say go for it. And start your own turbo thread….

I’m trying to buy it but I guess it’s not in stock. Anyone else know where to buy th
What could possibly go wrong? Improperly sized Chinese turbos never grenade. No name wastegates always do a good job of controlling boost. 409 stainless is a wonderful material for turbo manifolds.

I say go for it. And start your own turbo thread….
Was gonna tag you, what’s a good off the shelf manifold in your opinion?

Was gonna tag you, what’s a good off the shelf manifold in your opinion?
The only off the shelf manifold I would suggest instead of a high quality schedule 40 stainless j-pipe is the 6-boost manifold out of Australia. I do believe that Hypertune is also working on one but it will be big $$$$

The only off the shelf manifold I would suggest instead of a high quality schedule 40 stainless j-pipe is the 6-boost manifold out of Australia. I do believe that Hypertune is also working on one but it will be big $$$$
Thank you. Was looking at the 6 boosts, but prefer to run the J pipe with stock manifolds. Does anyone sell the EMS style J pipe?

Thank you. Was looking at the 6 boosts, but prefer to run the J pipe with stock manifolds. Does anyone sell the EMS style J pipe?
Not that I know of. Doesn’t mean there isn’t one out there, but I just really haven’t had to look. My J-pipe is doing great and I am really set with my other turbo manifold. The 6 boost is pretty nice, I think because most turbo setups made are for other countries they might have to compromise turbo placement d/t the steering and brakes on that side.

But really the J-pipe is only a fraction of the fabrication that will need to be done. If you’re buying a j-pipe you still need to have someone fabricate the downpipe, the intake, the Wastegate dump to exhaust, etc. if you’re having someone do that a J-pipe is a drop in the bucket… if you can find someone that does good work and is willing to do it.

Not that I know of. Doesn’t mean there isn’t one out there, but I just really haven’t had to look. My J-pipe is doing great and I am really set with my other turbo manifold. The 6 boost is pretty nice, I think because most turbo setups made are for other countries they might have to compromise turbo placement d/t the steering and brakes on that side.

But really the J-pipe is only a fraction of the fabrication that will need to be done. If you’re buying a j-pipe you still need to have someone fabricate the downpipe, the intake, the Wastegate dump to exhaust, etc. if you’re having someone do that a J-pipe is a drop in the bucket… if you can find someone that does good work and is willing to do it.

I agree, the fabrication of the down pipe, intake piping ect. I have a AC/DC Tig welder and would be able to do the rest. Just don’t have the patience to attempt to build a J pipe. I got the bender, but would have to order the pipe die, cut flanges ect. Plus I don’t trust my tig skills on making good penetration on the Flanges.

I agree, the fabrication of the down pipe, intake piping ect. I have a AC/DC Tig welder and would be able to do the rest. Just don’t have the patience to attempt to build a J pipe. I got the bender, but would have to order the pipe die, cut flanges ect. Plus I don’t trust my tig skills on making good penetration on the Flanges.
It was a pain in the ass to put together AND make it productionable.

Well for a turbo manifold you don’t really use a bender the bends are not tight enough. Most people use welding el’s

It was a pain in the ass to put together AND make it productionable.

I don’t doubt that. I was just reading through some of your recent posts on the turbo thread.

I have nothing bad to say about your kit and the price is more then on par with the quality and what you get.

Im just looking to see if I can put one together for myself if this can do a majority of the fabrication myself.

I don’t doubt that. I was just reading through some of your recent posts on the turbo thread.

I have nothing bad to say about your kit and the price is more then on par with the quality and what you get.

Im just looking to see if I can put one together for myself if this can do a majority of the fabrication myself.
All I can say is start with the T4 plate and manifold down pipe ends and some mandrel bends. Then get creative.

My thoughts, copy and pasted from one of the threads posted above:

Heckraiser said:
CX has a rather poor reputation going back many years for cheap products that sort of fit and eventually fail. Back in my "import tuner" days, their manifolds and plain old headers were known to crack at the welds. I have used their intercoolers with good results.

-This kit in particular uses a junk Chinese turbo (call yourself lucky if it lasts 20k miles).
-The wastegate (also a cheap knockoff) vents to atmosphere, which is illegal (whether or not your local jurisdiction cares to check), and will result in lots of noise and terrible exhaust smells :hillbilly:
-Intercooler placement is poor--charge pipe below the frame rail does not jive with off-road use, airflow to intercooler almost completely blocked by front bumper.
-No provision to maintain the factory MAF, so you'll have to rework the intake to figure that out on your own
-BOV vents to atmosphere (may or may not be an issue, but will confuse your MAF by allowing metered air out of the system)
-if you're dumb enough to run a 10psi wastegate spring out of the box, good luck!

I have not used this kit or even seen one in person, but my thoughts are that if you are building a turbo setup from scratch, the manifold may be a viable alternative to the treadstone manifold (which has it's own host of problems). The downpipe would also give you a starting point if you didn't want to fabricate the whole shebang from scratch. I would consider it a starting point, at best, not a complete kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom