TURBO under $2k (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just found the pics of the J pipe before welding. Finally noticed after Scottryana pointed out the Weld Els. Thanks guys.

My thoughts, copy and pasted from one of the threads posted above:
Yeah, I read you had nothing but problems with the treadstone manifold. I might look into buying the 6 boost manifold and go from there. As SR mentioned I’m concerned about the fitment due to LH and RH drive configuration with the steering linkage ect. Not sure if the manifold is made differently to clear that stuff or if they are universal for both.

Hot rod magazine uses cx racing turbos a lot on test engines. They make a lot of power with them.
I think it will be fine for a while, just don't try and fool yourself into thinking you are buying quality parts for $2k.

OMG! Wow. It’a come to communism. 1 way or the highway. That’s great.....

let’s all hop on the wagon.
Anyone think otherwise of this turbo? I mean use the manifold and just get a used quality turbo T4?

Last edited:
Even a new garret sells for $600. Makes it even more enticing.

Even a new garret sells for $600. Makes it even more enticing.
Where are you buying a new Garrett for $600? I think that is a scam. A new journal bearing, T4 Garrett 62-67mm is going to be double that. A ball bearing triple that, and a CNC wheel ball bearing 4x that.

Funny but mean lol. Even if someone has the $6k+, it's hard the find superchargers/turbo for the 80.
You can have money and be poor. I can't drop 2k on a great value™ turbo kit on whim like this dude. Being poor and being broke are very different. People without money don't spend a dollar to save a dime, poor people do. He said he wants to fab is own setup, I support that 1 hundi baby. You just need a good base to start with and that kit is a trash base.

Anyone think otherwise of this turbo? I mean use the manifold and just get a used quality turbo T4?
The guy considering a Chinese knock off turbo kit complaining about communism...

1623712687932.gif

You ask for opinions and you'll get them. If you're sold on the CX "kit," by all means give it a try and post a build thread 👍

My main point is that the quality will be lacking. Everyone's standards are different, so that's totally up to you. I built a turbo kit from scratch and I wouldn't call it "high quality," but it worked. In my case, the important hardware was actual brand-name parts though. And if you think this CX "kit" contains everything (or even most) of what you'll need to get it buttoned up and running, you're in for a surprise. But I'm not knocking you or discouraging you. Totally your prerogative if you want to try it out :)

I’m just really going to buy it for the exhaust manifold and the intake tubes and miscellaneous stuff. Buy a quality turbo and just fab up the downpipe and whatever reinforcements needed to help the turbo sit. For $1400 with $1000 other parts your get what looks like 6psi of boost for around $2500. Sounds like a win win.

I haven’t held it in my hands, but the manifold is what “scares” me. Good ones are big money and that one is cheap comparatively. It’s going to be supporting a heavy turbo on a vehicle for off-road use and I bet it’s not up to the task. I’d look for a way to add supplemental support.

I would kill to buy a j pipe setup ready to go with a T4 flange. It would make building a homemade turbo setup so much easier. Joey’s kit would be even better but I’m poor unfortunately 😂

I haven’t held it in my hands, but the manifold is what “scares” me. Good ones are big money and that one is cheap comparatively. It’s going to be supporting a heavy turbo on a vehicle for off-road use and I bet it’s not up to the task. I’d look for a way to add supplemental support.
That manifold is what needs to be welded to keep up with the cracking.

I’m just really going to buy it for the exhaust manifold and the intake tubes and miscellaneous stuff. Buy a quality turbo and just fab up the downpipe and whatever reinforcements needed to help the turbo sit. For $1400 with $1000 other parts your get what looks like 6psi of boost for around $2500. Sounds like a win win.
Where are these $600 Garrett turbo’s? I would like to take a look at them.

When I turbo'd my hzj105 diesel, I set it up with a 4" into 3" dump pipe that was bolted rigid at the rear of the t-case, and at the bellhousing.
With 3&4" pipe holding it up, I figured the turbo isn't going anywhere.
I did contemplate setting up a brace under it, bolted to the side of the block which is how the factory diesel hdj80 turbo's are, but with how sturdy my downpipe was, didn't think it was warranted.
My hdj80 had had the brace under the turbo ½ unbolted sometime before I owned it so effectively doing very little.

It may be possible to set up a brace on the 1fz-fe. The hdj80 block has a threaded boss on the block for this

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom