turbo toyota truck??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lt1fire

SILVER Star
Threads
On the way back from work today I saw and 80's truck at a light with some 80's faded lettering on the door that said turbo. It also had toyota truck turbo emblem on the truck. I didn't know that the old trucks ever had a turbo as an option or was this maybe the ultra rare diesel pu??? Just wondering

Probably a 22RE-T engine...

22RE engine with the turbo...

Fun engine...lots of money to fix the turbo when they die..

Not rare at all, although they are now, especially with the uber-desired R151F 5-speed tranny. I parted one out a little over a year ago just to get the tranny.

I used to drive an 87 Turbo pickup with a TJM bar and an aluminum flatbed for a work truck :D What a fun truck, that thing would definitely throw down in higher RPMs. You don't have to use the CT-26 turbo when it dies either :grinpimp:

knixen just a quick question... are the runners diesels over there??

thanks for all the responses

knixen just a quick question... are the runners diesels over there??

thanks for all the responses

Most gen 2 runners (which are the only ones which has been sold over here) are diesels. A few with the 3slow and automatic, but they aren't worth much here.

The most common engine is the 2LT-II, from 93 they came with the 1KZT which I would prefer of the two. And not the one Ive got..:doh:

close but here's the real scoop.

The years are 85-87 in the North American market for 22RTE equipped mini trucks and 4Runners. R151's were only available in truck versions as all turbo 4Runners were autos. The turbo is a CT20, not a CT26. Although, I havent done it personally, a CT26 off a 7MGTE looks like it could be easily adapted to the stock manifold. The CT26 is a much better turbo due to improved oiling and less heat build up. The CT20 has issues with cracking due to excessive heat build up. The 22RTE block is identical to a 22RE with the exception of the added oiling passage for the turbo. The 22RTE pistons are lower compression. Same with the head. EFI is different along with the fuel pump and injectors.

Actually, a VERY small number of 85's had the turbo. I think there were more 4Runners with it than PUs in 85...Either way, they were both VERY low numbers in 85. Also, the turbo was offered up to 88 1/2....There were more 88s with the turbos than the 85s. The 3.0 didnt get put into the 88s until Jan of 88.

I remember reading in one of the forums that there MAY have been a difference in rods and main bearings between the NA & Turbo 22RE's....???

There was also a turbo diesel in 83-85...

But regarding the '85 22rte, I have never seen one with a solid axle. Every "85" I have seen was a very early '86 with a '85 build date.

SOMEBODY I know tried to sell two here for $1,500 and one was a 5sp....

2....L....8...now....

I had a black 87 reg cab turbo 5spd when i was 19. It was an immaculate 1 owner truck when I bought it. I was young and stupid, and beat the crap out of it for a year before trading it in on my first mustang. It's one of the trucks I wish I had been smart enough to not destroy and hold onto.

Just traded my 60 for an '87 turbo 4runner with 124K miles in great shape. Nice little rig and the turbo is a noticeable increase over a regular 22RE. Coolest part is the digital (Ala Night Rider) dash.

Just traded my 60 for an '87 turbo 4runner with 124K miles in great shape. Nice little rig and the turbo is a noticeable increase over a regular 22RE. Coolest part is the digital (Ala Night Rider) dash.

I would not be surprised if an RE head would yield better power, mpg and would still live with low test

when you have 7.5:1 comp ratio w/ 82/83 cc heads and go to a 52/54 cc I dont think it would be that drastic, I dont have the data but I'd say very close to 8.0 c/r maybe less.

OR, a 7mgt turbo

What say Mud?

The years are 85-87 in the North American market for 22RTE equipped mini trucks and 4Runners. R151's were only available in truck versions as all turbo 4Runners were autos. The turbo is a CT20, not a CT26. Although, I havent done it personally, a CT26 off a 7MGTE looks like it could be easily adapted to the stock manifold. The CT26 is a much better turbo due to improved oiling and less heat build up. The CT20 has issues with cracking due to excessive heat build up. The 22RTE block is identical to a 22RE with the exception of the added oiling passage for the turbo. The 22RTE pistons are lower compression. Same with the head. EFI is different along with the fuel pump and injectors.

So you are saying that I *could* find a solid axle truck with a turbo in 1985?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom