turbo studs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i have a mercedes om617 i’m putting in my fj40. i am upgrading the turbo but i need a spacer and therefore longer studs. they are M10x 1.5 on both sides of the stud. is there any reason i shouldn’t use threaded metric rod to make my own studs or is the unthreaded portion important?

Last edited:
Can't offer any expert advice in this area but on my 80 series I simply removed the studs all together and used longer bolts. I know that studs are superior for clamping force and keeping even tension but i've had zero issues for the last couple years the bolts have been in mine securing the turbo to the manifold

Can't offer any expert advice in this area but on my 80 series I simply removed the studs all together and used longer bolts. I know that studs are superior for clamping force and keeping even tension but i've had zero issues for the last couple years the bolts have been in mine securing the turbo to the manifold

did you use regular bolts or hardened ones. i can’t imaging that i’d have to torque them so hard that i need hardened steel as long as the turbo is well supported and not hanging a ton of weight off the studs. i guess i just want to make sure they don’t stretch too much

great. thanks. standard stainless i believe is softer than regular steel bolts so if they work the grade 5 should be ok. if they break i guess i’ll know my answer!

You want to make sure you use bolts or studs designed for exhaust. Not any old stainless or
threaded rod. Good god, you’re asking for skinned knuckles and whoever has to take
them out later trouble. I’d agree with swapping over to bolts if you have the room.
Is there a high heat anti seize? I’d use that as well.

X2, Those things will make themselves a permanent feature if you don't use a proper grade. And, yes, you can get high heat antisieze. I use it on all my exhaust stuff on everything I work on. Makes future work much easier.
You aren't really looking for a grade to handle a lot of stress as much as heat. You don't want to put too much torque on exhaust/turbo bolts. You will snap the cast iron and then you have a whole other problem.

I don't hang out in the 40 section - so I had to go look. Looking at the last couple pages what an awesome build. I'll be catching up on the whole thing.

And just from browsing it looks like you're not cutting corners. I would drop the coin on proper hardware if it were me.

it’s not so much the cost as your right, i’m not cutting corners. it’s that i’m having a hard time finding the length i need. i’m sure i can find them on line. just hoped to get them
locally so i can keep moving forward. shipping is so slow with covid

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom