Turbo size (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I admit i know very little about turbos as a power added.
I have done the search thing and read the posts. Time and time again i read about AR numbers, these numbers are good these numbers are bad.
I must be missing something, and i just know i am setting my self up for a duh moment but here goes.
I have a Garrett turbo here that by the AR numbers should be on the large side, they are .58 for the compressor side and .46 on the turbine side.
The problem i have is that so this thing looks tiny, The turbine inlet measurements are the same as a GT2056, T25 i think, but the compressor side doesn't match anything i can find. The compressor inlet is only 40mm, compressor outlet is 30mm.
By the looks of this thing a good fart into it should produce 15 lbs boost.
So how does physical size play a part in all this?

Some pics, there are numbers on the compressor section that are to small to get on film, they are 435362-4
under those are VKO640F.
t16.jpg
t4.jpg
t13.jpg

That looks like the one I have mine came from a Chrysler or Plymouth model also used by Mtsubishi on some of their models I believe it is a CT25.
It should work fine on a 3B you dont want to high AR numbers ie; higher than 65 you will hit your rev line before the turbo spoils up fully... on the other end of that eqaution you dont want small AR numbers or you spool up to fast before your optimum load range.

The AR is merely a ratio of size of inlet to radius, and not how much air any given turbo can move.

~John

Than is where my confusion lays the numbers don't make sense given the size.
Clear as mud now.

Maybe this is the way to go for this application as the truck will not be seeing any highway miles so more low RPM boost might be a good thing.

The A/R numbers alone mean very little. They need to be read in conjunction with the wheel diameter to get any idea what's going on.
Some turbos have the option of several turbine housings, these have different A/R's to fine-tune the turbo to the application.

I couldn't find an exact match for that turbo, but it appears to be a garrett GT15 or GT17. Since you've got the covers off, measure the compressor wheel and turbine wheel diameters and we'll see if it can be narrowed down further.

It looks like it'd be suitable for diesel engines in the 2 litre range gauging by other applications with similar identification numbers:
GT15 - Garrett - Catalog - TurboMaster
http://www.turbomaster.info/eng/catalogs/model.php?base=garrett&pagina=GT17

What kind of power is available from a turbo 3B?

A little more than that. The 3B with 10psi needs just over 20lb/min airflow, this one does about 14lb/min.

What kind of power is available from a turboed 3B?

13B-T it's 120HP by the books ( means bench numbers at the flywheel ) and 210lb/p torque ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom