Turbo oil Supply ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 3B came with a turbo and in reaseaching here I get the Idea that the oil supply should come off the block not the oil cooler. Is this correct ?

The PO broght his off just besides the oil filter housing. Is the low oil shutoff on the block or on the cooler?

The search engine is down so I am asking here.

Thansk Myrle

Low oil shut off is on the block next to the oil pressure sender. My oil supply comes off the oil pressure sender tap and returns at the same place as the altenator/vacuum pump oil return

in 12H-T engines the oil suply comes thorught vaccum pump oil supli, and return to the oil pan, at the same way vacuum pump return with a T niple.

This is the "which is better" idea, as either will do. The filter housing is right along the oil gallery...so it is likely 6 of one and half dozen of the other.

hth's

gb

cruiser_guy said:
Low oil shut off is on the block next to the oil pressure sender. My oil supply comes off the oil pressure sender tap and returns at the same place as the altenator/vacuum pump oil return

Maybe I am grasping at straws here, My oil pressure drops way down after It warms up and was wondering if the oil was getting to hot from the turbo, its supply comes off a T with the oil pressure guage off the oil cooler goes into a 3/8 line to the turbo, it then comes off turbo to the oil pan.

The PO stated that the oil pressure is good but the T to the turbo gives a false reading.

Do the oil coolers need servicing often ? I was told that the engine has 200000
kms, It will acutally puff oil vapor out while hot at a stop sign that can be seen in front of the truck.

I have seen hot oil \ CC pressure on big Cats caused by the cooler.

I see nothing out the exhaust to make me feel it might be the engine.

Myrle

mallred said:
The PO stated that the oil pressure is good but the T to the turbo gives a false reading.

Myrle

simple just buy the bsp to JIC adapter in the correct size. Install it under the alternator. you will see the 10mm plug.

I don't buy that using the same line as the vac pump method. even if the hole is larger.

what oil are you running too? Depending on the temp, 10w30 seems to be better. My oil px drops way off if I am running lighter oil.

If your in a hot area run 15w40 even. Us in the cold are looking at the thinner stuff.

if you need more info about the plug go the thread "BJ60 gets repainted" those words will find it. Greg_b posted a pic of the fitting and the part number there.

mallred said:
Do the oil coolers need servicing often ? I was told that the engine has 200000
kms, It will acutally puff oil vapor out while hot at a stop sign that can be seen in front of the truck.

My '84 did that too and I ended up rebuilding that engine for my daughters truck. If there is a noticable amount of vapor I would be concerned otherwise a little is to be expected. I had comments before pulling the engine on the '84 and installing a different one, that "Mr. is your engine OK?" while I was at stop lights. I had to watch it so that I could take it to AirCare on the days that it wasn't smoking as bad otherwise they would not let me in the building!! It always passed though!?!? :)

i always pull the oil feed from the sending unit hole and returning it to the oil pan using a bolt in / now weld in bung. the oil pressure is always good and the return never fails.
i "T" the sending hole and mount the turbo feed off the 90 and the pressure striaght out.
up to you but works for me.
cheers

Thanks Guys, If it needs a rebuild in the future than that is fine. For now I will look into a comp guage and put in a manual oil guage . In searching I found that there are 2 plugs in back of the oil cooler on the block that I have located, Maybe it is a bad oil sending unit I have now.

I will go from there.

Myrle

The fully warmed up engine at Idle has 13-15 oil press. 40 psi at speed. Not great but ok. Blowby is now going into inlet air before the turbo, I will watch the turbo for biuld up and keep a eye on oil consumption.. The truck runs great, I am looking around for a good compression guage and hopefully will have one soon.

The factory oil press gauge was even with the L line and I was getting very nervous.

Myrle

mallred said:
The fully warmed up engine at Idle has 13-15 oil press. 40 psi at speed. Not great but ok. The factory oil press gauge was even with the L line and I was getting very nervous.Myrle

The factory gauge seems to read low on many trucks. There is nothing wrong with those numbers at all. Remember that low oil pressure shutdown is something like 5lbs psi or so.

hth's

gb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom