Turbo Noise / Whistle (well sounds more like scraping) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

Got my 12HT installed, and fixed an exhaust leak on the Manifold at the #1 cylinder. Everything pre-turbo is no really nice and tight as far as I can see. However, I am having a bit of noise from the turbo, not all the time, but the conditions in which it happens are easily reproduced.

When I drive around with the engine cold, I get a scraping noise when the boost goes over 4PSI. Once on the highway and the system is heated up to above 450° F, the noise goes away entirely. If I get off the highway and drive around and let the engine cool to below 250° F the noise starts to return. It seems like about 350° - 400° is the point where the change takes place.

It seems clear to me that something is expanding when hot and clearances are changing. I first question would be is it the turbocharger failing?

Does anyone have any ideas? I don't know what a failing turbocharger sounds like.

Cheers!
Michael

If you have any doubt about the turbo check it out, or get it checked.
The turbo on my hdj81 started making an intermittent scraping/squealing noise. It failed spectacularly before I managed to change it out.

If you take the intake hose off the compressor housing, check for shaft play. There should be minimal movement side to side and NO movement front to back

I have check for play in both directions and it all seems good. Perhaps I should check it again.

If you have any doubt about the turbo check it out, or get it checked.
The turbo on my hdj81 started making an intermittent scraping/squealing noise. It failed spectacularly before I managed to change it out.

If you take the intake hose off the compressor housing, check for shaft play. There should be minimal movement side to side and NO movement front to back

Do you have a source for the replacement turbo? I see a bunch on eBay in the $300 - $700 range.

Some members have had success with higher dollar eBay turbos, I wouldn't run one without getting it checked for balance and so on first.

Or (and I'm probably biased) buy once cry once and hit up @gbentink www.gturbo.com.au - very well worthwhile IMHO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom