Turbo Lack of Air (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After the installation of my new turbo, I can't reach 60m/h and the engine EGT was way to high. (1300F) at 50m/h. 8psi boost

Running strong below 40m/h and 750-950F ,4psi boost

The last turbo was the same exaust turbine A/R (.49)size but bigger intake A/R ratio(.60 and now .42). I don't see why my turbo give me not enough air.. or restrain it before the turbo housing ?

Bigger Intake ratio mean less restriction or more ? I thing about changing the intake for my old one.Just to see how it's change.

what you have in your exhaust .?

I don't know what's your question..

I have a 2.5'' straight pipe exhaust.. with a .49 A/R ratio. That's all what I have on the exaust side

50kmh is pretty freaken slow. Id be looking for a major restriction in the intake or exhaust. Did the turbo spin freely before install? Is the exhaust blowing quite black? Maybe the pyro sender/ unit is wacky?

Even when I broke an old turbo I had, the turbine was seized so major exhaust restriction, it didn't do what your truck is doing.
g

Have you tried running it without the air filter? (Not a long-term solution, just a test.) Do you have any compressible tubing between the air filter and the turbo inlet? Sometimes the turbo will suck so much air that it will collapse rubber parts.

Have you tried running it without the air filter? (Not a long-term solution, just a test.) Do you have any compressible tubing between the air filter and the turbo inlet? Sometimes the turbo will suck so much air that it will collapse rubber parts.

Interesting :hmm: !

I will look at that because I saw that without the air filter, it's look like to breath better.

The filter is the original one.. by the way.

No black smoke.. a little bit at startup.. but nothing there... little white smoke, but I don't finish to adjust my glow plug timer that I made myself with a microcontroller. So it'S need a little bit of tweak to be better.

I was planning running the turbo with the wastegate full open.. to look for any restriction the turbo can do.. Good Idéa or not so good ??

I was planning running the turbo with the wastegate full open.. to look for any restriction the turbo can do.. Good Idéa or not so good ??

for a test run it's ok .. watch your boost gauge and EGT's ..

You don't need a waste gate...

If your filter is clogged your engine will miss at higher rpm. (this happened to me)

Exhaust will plug your filter realllllly fast!

Quote:

"You don't need a waste gate..."

This statement isnt universally true. There are some applications where full floating works well, but mostly in narrow operating range engines. You will suffer in economy and power if your run significantly more boost than required.

Also... If you are a man with much power, and have the sizable knackers of a man who could run the country Kazakhstan, you need to worry about cracking pistons!

Unfortunately the stock pistons can only handle so much.

gbentink, I didn't know about that! I'll have to tinker with my next turbo to gain optimum economy and power. Thanks.

So I try some tricks, and let the intake free. I saw that I certainly have a too small turbo. .49 exaust and .42 intake is good for low end torque... but it's not able to go faster then 40m/h with good EGT.. and have troubles going to 60m/h with a normal EGT below 950F on flat road.

The engine won't have enough power at this speed to accelerate both turbo boost at 10 psi without any trouble. 0-40m/h the engine run real strong.. after that... no more power.

I will try with 2 wastegates, I have an external the may help with backpressure. Just an other test.

Last year with my .49 exaust .60 intake, I haven't all this trouble.

I run a .42 exhaust turbine on my 3.6 H diesel engine. Runs great. I have no problems with EGTs being too high.

Are there two hose connection ports on your wastegate's actuator diapragm? (Some have two, one to open it and one to close it.) If there are two are you sure the pressure hose is hooked up to the correct one? Where does the hose connect to on the pressure side? Is it connected to the turbo or somewhere on the intake? Is the hose possibly plugged or blocked by something?

I run a .42 exhaust turbine on my 3.6 H diesel engine. Runs great. I have no problems with EGTs being too high.

Are there two hose connection ports on your wastegate's actuator diapragm? (Some have two, one to open it and one to close it.) If there are two are you sure the pressure hose is hooked up to the correct one? Where does the hose connect to on the pressure side? Is it connected to the turbo or somewhere on the intake? Is the hose possibly plugged or blocked by something?

hose are new and all plug correctly. Just EGT to high 1100F-1300f at 50m/h when i try to make it run to 60m/h on flat road. but I can't make it run to 60m/h ... don't know why engine doesn't want to go there. don't have enought strong.

agreed, a blanket statement like that can be ... unwise.
Quote:

"You don't need a waste gate..."

This statement isnt universally true. There are some applications where full floating works well, but mostly in narrow operating range engines. You will suffer in economy and power if your run significantly more boost than required.

twin turbo it?
So I try some tricks, and let the intake free. I saw that I certainly have a too small turbo. .49 exaust and .42 intake is good for low end torque... but it's not able to go faster then 40m/h with good EGT.. and have troubles going to 60m/h with a normal EGT below 950F on flat road.

The engine won't have enough power at this speed to accelerate both turbo boost at 10 psi without any trouble. 0-40m/h the engine run real strong.. after that... no more power.

I will try with 2 wastegates, I have an external the may help with backpressure. Just an other test.

Last year with my .49 exaust .60 intake, I haven't all this trouble.

Any idea what engine RPM you are at when doing 50 MPH? What size tires do you have? Do you have the stock ring and pinion?

2200 rpm at 50mille by hour with 33'' millitary tire and 4.11 gear with locker. The turbo have to mutch restriction a this point but not when i'm at third gear... plenty of power all the 0-2700 rpm. the motor run strong on first, second and third gear.

I only have a single turbo.. the other one broke because of oil pressure too low 20psi at 2500rpm.. now I rebuild cranshaft bearing... 40psi at 2000rpm.

I try to read the turbo map for .48 a/r 55 trim that is near the turbo I have. Tell me if I'm wrong..

the less you boost, the less CFM your able to send to you motor... so If i'm only at 5psi at 2200rpm - maybe I need 200CFM... so maybe my turbo won't offer this quantity and will choke.

If I boost my pressure to 10psi at 2200rpm - my turbo will be able to deliver more then 200CFM that I need an my choke trouble will be gone ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom