Turbo 3B vs 13-BT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

3b.... glowplugs. Easy to find 12 volt stuff, simple to work on.

13b-t.... glowscreen... mostly 24 volt, more going on around the engine...

I'm turbo'd. They are nice. Might be nice to have a DI for cold weather. But my IDI sure is quiet and smooth.

thanks brownbear, i like the idea of simple. are all 13B-T's 24v? i thought it was only the import (jap) units that were 24v?

holy crap,
give a person a piece of paper that says they are smart and they lord it over anyone without that blessed chunk of wood.

BEE_JAY42, make a list of HOW the 13BT is a better engine than a 3BT.
what exactly are the big differences?

(24V vs 12V is not an issue)
(glow plugs verses glow screen is not an issue)

we want to know the internals that make the huge difference.
both have piston cooling
both have the similar strength crank and cam
both have the similar strength in head

so WHERE is the 13BT so tough and the 3B so weak as to not turbo it?

Last edited:
dont think he said that tho did he? he just suggested, and i agreed that surely something from the guys at toyota, designed to be a turbo would be a better turbo then a non turbo turbo'd (say that ten times fast)

this is just the reason why i asked the question, so as to get all the diffrent points of view on the matter to which i think i have changed my thoughts on the matter. I thought (maybe though ignorance) the the factory turbo would have been, hands down better then the factory non turbo, then modified to replicate a factory turbo........

thanks for the inputs guys and hope no one got too beaten up for their views/opinions on the matter.

(note to self: never talk about politics, religion, sport or A MAN'S ENGINE OF CHOICE)

hell no, deffinately talk religion, politics, sports and engines... makes for an interesting thread.

want fun, then bring into the mix, SOA vs SUA, V8 verses 6 verses diesel, 40 vs 70 vs 60 vs 80... sit back and watch the fun.

i have no problem with a edumcated feller as long as he doesn't lord it over the humble peeps. seems some of us hillbillys can get a mite riled at times...

in the end, it isn't so much the 13BT and the 3BT but the nut behind the wheel that can kill either...

well then im screwed! cos i reckon this nut could kill either easily, but thats not my goal :p

and i noticed that you omitted the 55, that is obviously cos you agree that they are the superior series............ oink!! :pig:

oh and you forgot the Auto vs Manual 'debate'

if i could build any truck then it would be a HZTI55/h55f/split case... THAT would be a kicking rig ooozing personality and turning heads anywhere it went.

looks like you just mashed the keyboard there.........

The 13B-T head is sronger, ( C-MON ) it has no cavity for the pre-cup chamber. !

Glo-screen and glo plugs should be a factor. Mind you(I have heard that there are some people at the coast here that cant start a 13B-T at 0c , I couldnt stop laughing when I heard that.
Glo screen Hands down.

no precup chambers does not equate to stronger...
how many 3Bs have 500,000 on them without replacing the heads?
how many turbo'd 3B have died soley because of the head?

if the glow plugs are working then the 3B will start down to -35C
if the glow screen is working then the 13BT will start down to -35C

beneifit?

well it is "roothie" he is a bit of a 'character' to say the least....

but seriously :p

the 3b does seem to have more available parts, which is good because the 13bt shares a some of those parts.

the 3b head does seem to have some precup issues [do a search in the diesel section], and i understand that the 3b head came in in two grades of metal content, [somethin to do with nickle?] one head was more vulnerable to cracking than the other.

the only problem i have had with a 13bt was a cracked head gasket due to t-stat failing, and there was no problem in gettin the replacement 13bt head gasket set.

no precup chambers does not equate to stronger...
how many 3Bs have 500,000 on them without replacing the heads?
how many turbo'd 3B have died soley because of the head?

if the glow plugs are working then the 3B will start down to -35C
if the glow screen is working then the 13BT will start down to -35C

beneifit?

I think prado t was referring to some science: An engines job is to transform heat energy into energy at the flywheel. The precup is a heat sink "into" the head, therefore by design will not be as efficient in heat management as the DI version.

Something like that, without all the big fancy words.

Call me a thermometer, but I am not graduated by degrees.

gb

hummm, i would have thought the term would be efficent, not stronger...

of course, for me, if the skinny pedal moves the truck then i am happy no matter what the motivational force might be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom