Turbo 3b overheating in the mountains (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

When you start out with a Naturally aspirated 3b and put a turbo on it. The stock fuel settings are NOT setup for a turbo. Although it is smart not to mess with fuel unless you have a pyrometer and are capable of wiping your own arse.

Now this is getting a little side tracked. Just double look at all the cooling system parts.

Why did you go to electric fans? They are inferior in my opinion.

I have electric fans setup in Tencha, and I did coz factory system / fan was good to a point .. then pass that point / temp it sucks coz moved air it's directly related to engine speed ..

With electric fans if you are getting hot you can slow down and lower your rpm or even stop to let it idle / cool with fans at 100% moving more air than your stock system will do idling ..

I have electric fans setup in Tencha, and I did coz factory system / fan was good to a point .. then pass that point / temp it sucks coz moved air it's directly related to engine speed ..

With electric fans if you are getting hot you can slow down and lower your rpm or even stop to let it idle / cool with fans at 100% moving more air than your stock system will do idling ..

When idling electric will flow better. But you shouldn't need to cool your engine at those speeds. You off-road pretty hard and I can see an advantage there for electric fans.
For me I just cruise the highway and light trails. At 60mph you shouldn't need a fan to cool your truck. All the plastic to make electric fan shrouds will block airflow at highway speeds.
That's my 2 cents.

When idling electric will flow better. But you shouldn't need to cool your engine at those speeds. You off-road pretty hard and I can see an advantage there for electric fans.
For me I just cruise the highway and light trails. At 60mph you shouldn't need a fan to cool your truck. All the plastic to make electric fan shrouds will block airflow at highway speeds.
That's my 2 cents.

You are right .. we are totally agree .. I do a lot of slow off road ( I usually move slow always on her )

You are right .. we are totally agree .. I do a lot of slow off road ( I usually move slow always on her )
FWIW, I have a Mishimoto aluminum radiator in my 62, and can crawl all day long in 115-118 degree temps in 4 low with the A/C on and never go over 200 with a stock fan setup.

Hey guys sorry for the delay had a great time at the fj summit in my gasser 60 ( with electric fan)

Not to the turbo 3b 60

tried to get it to the trails and kept getting hit before we could make it to the trail head.

Tried turning the fuel down and no major change. Slightly cooler but didn't prevent

Pyro numbers were low don't remember what exactly but nothing crazy

Electric fans simply because it was easier to fan in their over the mechanical.

Had to stop three time to cross monarch pass on the way home but once we were on the downhill side of things she did the next 800 miles perfectly fine

So basically we have decided that this landcruiser will do just fine in the flat plains of ks.

Maybe new rad and mechanical fan set up in the future but no immediate plans

Thanks for the help and input guys

FWIW, I have a Mishimoto aluminum radiator in my 62, and can crawl all day long in 115-118 degree temps in 4 low with the A/C on and never go over 200 with a stock fan setup.

3F .. ? totally different animal compared to any toyota IDI plus turbo ..

Have you adjusted your pump timing? You might need a little advance.

My 3bt has 1.75 turns of fuel, ~17 psi of boost, is intercooled, my egts are 800F, and I gain heat on one steep hill I frequent, but I'm usually pushing 50mph. I'm going to turn down and fuel a bit to clean up some smoke and see if that helps on the hill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom