Tuning the 2LTE with a piggyback (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GTSSportCoupe

2LTE abuser
Threads
Some of you guys with LJ7x and LN130's might find these videos very interesting. To my knowledge no one has every really taken things this far with the motor. I've always wanted to but never had the time. These guys get very techincal with the motor and adapt an early 1KZTE piggy back to the 2LTE (they have basically the same ECD system).

The video images looks like they're stupid, but they're actually quite good.

They share a lot of very interesting info - Ben guy is very tech/tuning savy. One interesting point is the 2LTE fuel maps put out the most fuel at 10psi and the computer starts pulling it back from there, ultimately creating a CEL at around 15psi. So those running a MAP Sensor 'bleed valve' should set it so the ECU only sees 10psi max. Without having a piggy back tuner, you can use the spill valve and fuel resistor to tune fuel, and the timing resistor to tune timing. And of course manual boost controller to set boost pressure.

2LTE Baseline Dyno:

Unichip and tune while driving:

Last edited:
They have other videos on removing the EGR system and installing a water/air intercooler. I haven't watched them, but imagine they're doing what a number of us have already done.

Hey not sure if this interests you at all but im running a KZJ120R with a 1KZ-TE motor controlled by a full aftermarket ECU. Only thing the stock ecu does is run the transmission and dash. Its actually quite easy to control the denso ECD pumps with a standard aftermarket ECU. Tricky part is the triggering angles and getting the variable injection timing to run as VVT. The spill valve was pretty easy to work with too. Im using an old Adaptronic Select 440 but you could use any ecu aslong as it has high amperage outputs, 2 VR inputs for triggering and at least 1 high frequency PWM output. They go bloody hard when you can tune fuel, boost and timing maps from scratch

And some quick screenshots

fuel.jpg

timing.jpg

boost.jpg

vvt.jpg

That is really darn cool, I'm going to have to read up now! Nice work! Thanks a lot for sharing.

Not sure how much info you can find. I found nothing previous for the Denso's. Alot of experimenting! bought a spare pump too just to pull apart and count the teeth. Download the denso ECD V3 to V5 manual as it has some starting points in it. Also need an oscilloscope and logic analyzer. It will work on the 1HD-FTE ECD V5 pumps aswell

Not sure how much info you can find. I found nothing previous for the Denso's. Alot of experimenting! bought a spare pump too just to pull apart and count the teeth. Download the denso ECD V3 to V5 manual as it has some starting points in it. Also need an oscilloscope and logic analyzer. It will work on the 1HD-FTE ECD V5 pumps aswell

That sort of thing is right up my alley. I design electronics for a living, and love playing around with my 2lte. Always wanted to try something like you've done. I've read the early 2lte/1kzte V3 ECD manual a few times now. Finding time is always the challenge of course.

Perfect. You will understand this then -

-IP triggering is 64 teeth with 2 missing per period. IE 14 teeth then 2 missing is 1 injection cycle.
-standard spill valve needs flyback diode as it generates a fair whack of feedback which upsets the VR sensors
-timing valve is 500hz PWM inverted.Crank sensor used as reset
-tuning is primarily TPS based with very very small map enrichments
-injectors set to fire not in batch but all at once. 0.9 amps output current. At 1.9A and 2ohm she gets noisy on the spill valve

Perfect. You will understand this then -

-IP triggering is 64 teeth with 2 missing per period. IE 14 teeth then 2 missing is 1 injection cycle.
-standard spill valve needs flyback diode as it generates a fair whack of feedback which upsets the VR sensors
-timing valve is 500hz PWM inverted.Crank sensor used as reset
-tuning is primarily TPS based with very very small map enrichments
-injectors set to fire not in batch but all at once. 0.9 amps output current. At 1.9A and 2ohm she gets noisy on the spill valve

Awesome; thank-you. I actually have a spare injection pump. So might set something up on the bench I can test with. It'll be a while before I'll be able to find time to do this though. Working on a turbo upgrade at the moment and even that's slow progress, haha.

I'm already at the fuel limits of the 2LTE 10mm injection pump (by spill valve screw adjust and fuel resistor adjust). I run 20psi post intercooler, but use a pneumatic flow valve to trick the MAP sensor into seeing less boost so as not to get into fuel cut. Basically I've done some very crude tuning, but it has worked out really quite well.

I've always wanted to try an early 1KZTE 12mm injection pump, but figured the 2LTE oem ecu maps wouldn't work, as would be too rich. Probably wouldn't idle etc. But if I went with a aftermarket setup as you have, I'm sure I could tune for the 12mm pump upgrade. Would make a fun little motor.

I suppose I could build a interface board if I needed higher current drive.

Thanks again for sharing what you've done - very cool.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom