Tuned 2LTE rear wheel power: 125hp @3400, 225ft/lb @2400 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GTSSportCoupe

2LTE abuser
Threads
I've chatted about this before here: PerfExpert - poor man's dyno

I've been playing around a bit again with the tuning of my 2LTE. Moved a meth injection nozzle, and played with my bleed valve (tricking ECU to avoid fuel cut). Also, I replaced my short block with a really good condition one a couple of years ago since I last 'dynoed' my engine.

My truck feels very strong right now, so I thought I'd try to 'dyno' it again. As there is no easily available real dyno near where I live, I used my old G-Tech device and the PerfExpert app at the same time (to get the best accuracy). I measured the truck on a local commercial scale to get the weight as accurate as possible. Testing was done in both directions on a flat country road. I did about 15 runs and stuck only with the average data. I actually had some readings as high as 138rwhp! Lowest was about 110rwhp.

Now granted, this is a maximum performance tune. I don't drive it everyday this way. However I though 2LTE owners might be interested to know what is possible with this motor with the OEM turbo and injection pump. Unless there is something wrong with my pyrometer, the EGT's were fine with this tune. In fact I have towed with the fuel at this level before, and saw about 1100F maximum pre-turbo (under sustained load up long hills).

Once into boost, I did not see any black smoke with this testing.

It is an automatic. Test was done at sea level at 7 degrees Celsius. The power was measured in 2nd gear with the torque converter out of lock-up.

LJ78 with 2LTE engine:

- Intercooled (very efficient water/air type)
- 17-19psi (post intercooler)
- 2.5" exhaust and high flow intake
- 3L camshaft (breaths better apparently)
- Methanol/water injection - D04 nozzle 200psi - direct into intake manifold at old EGR location.
- Tuned by way of spill control valve and bleed valve at boost sensor
- Fuel resistor turned up a bit
- 10W30 synthetic oil

Being the truck is an automatic and the torque converter was out of lock-up, I'm going to say there is at least 25% drivetrain loss in this example. The landcruiser split t-cases seem to suck a lot of power too.

So, correcting for drivetrain loss puts the motor at about 165hp at the flywheel. Not too shabby at all!

You may say that is nuts, but the truck's general performance does support this power. For example I can move my truck and travel trailer (8500lb minimum) up a 6% grade in summer at 90km/h sustained. Truck does 0-100km/h in about 15seconds; runs about 20.5 seconds at 110km/h in a 1/4 mile (old test with old tune; truck might be faster now).

Max fueling of the 2LT-II pump is 120cc/1000strokes. I'm not sure about the 2LTE, but I'd think it is the same. That much fuel with enough air does support this power. Not to mention I'm injecting even more fuel with the methanol injection.

Edit: Here is the power curve. I downloaded raw data from PerfExpert and produced this in MS Excel.

LJ78Dyno.jpg

Last edited:
Did a bit of math. Proportionally, this is like a 1HZ-turbo putting down 218hp and 393ft/lb to the wheels. Sort of puts things into perspective.

Stock 2LTE's put down about 45-50 wheel hp. Stock 1HZ's put down about 60-90 wheel hp.

Impressive figures! If the poor man's dyno is correct, you've more than doubled the stock output - reliably too.

I've been hoping to get mine intercooled ... it's a daunting project for someone who's never worked with pipe before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom