Tune up on an 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just replaced my plugs and wires in my 96 Landcruiser yesterday. It was misfiring and running horribly.

My #4 wire and plug were trashed pretty badly. After changing the wires and plugs, the LC has been running top notch.

I bought the Bosch Platinum plugs and a set of Autolite wires (86 bucks). It's worth the price to have your vehicle running smoothly.

I pulled the rotor and used sandpaper to remove the deposits on the contacts. They look good as new.

It's nice to be able to stomp on the gas pedal and actually speed up instead of choking

By the way, this is my first post. I am happy that there is a board full of knowledgeable people on these LC's. I was a 4runner addict until mine was wrecked 2 weeks ago. I saw my dream vehicle at a dealership the next day and bought it a day later.

Jack (or should we call you Mister Nasty?)

Welcome to the group and to Cruiser ownership. Many of us have moved up from 4-Runners to the 80 series.

I noticed your cruiser isn't stock but you've only had it 2 weeks. Did it come with the accessories or have you already discovered the good guys at Slee offroad?

>> 6 Hella 4000's <<
Can you see clearly now?  :G

Were the Autolite wires $86 or did that include the platinum plugs?  How was the fit and the quality of the wires, connectors, and loom?

-B-

I'm not sure if it was good or bad, but everything already came on the LC when I bought it. I wanted to do the mods myself, like my 4runner, but I got the best deal on this LC, so I couldn't turn it down.

The wires were 86 bucks by themselves. AutoZone wanted 100 bucks for them. Advanced Auto Parts, right down the road, had them for 86. The plugs were only 1.99 a piece. The wires are pretty good quality. The only problem I had was with the #5 snap on the wire. it wouldn't snap to the distributor cap, and broke off when I forced it. But, i used the cap off of one of the old wires and it went on perfectly. To me, changing the plugs and wires, is the best engine mod you can do on an older vehicle. It improves gas mileage and the engine runs so much more efficiently.

I am 25 years old and have been lucky enough to have a father that taught me about engine repairs. To me, being this young and able to afford such an awesome vehicle, was a dream. I never thought I would be able to buy a Landcruiser on my own. People I know hassle about it and say "it must be nice to have that kind of money", but I'm not rich and have always paid my own way. Things just work out sometimes. If I hadn't have wrecked my 4runner, I would never have seen this thing on the car lot. I also would have thought twice about getting rid of the 4runner that was built by my own hands and hard work.

I do have other plans for the Landcruiser though. Unfortunately, there isn't much left to do.

****edited for language. I apologize and it won't happen again

Ramond,

>> Unfortunately, there isn't much left to do. <<

:G   We'll help. I'm sure we can find something your Cruiser still needs.

-B-

JNasty-

Oh yeah, you've got some of the big upgrades, we can suggest many little ones, addtional 12v outlets, addtional cup holders, CB radio, OEM light switches, Optima battery, LED lights, sterring stabiliser, etc, etc,

It's fun to upgrade but take your time and enjoy it along the way :beer:!

The Optima battery is next on the list (after new brake pads)

I am interested in the additional cupholder idea. I can't believe that there is only one in this vehicle

And, the CB will have to come soon if I am going to start wheeling this thing

JNasty,
Be sure to ask questions on each and every planned upgrade even if it seems simple and straight-forward. For example, there are several opinions on brake pads and batteries and even *which* Optima is the best (assuming you choose Optima.) One guy did a neat job on cup holders and posted pics though that may have been on SOR.

There are options and opinions on everything.

-B-

One guy did a neat job on cup holders and posted pics though that may have been on SOR.

...neat job? Cup holders? That's gotta be me :D If the post isn't on this site let me know and I will try and repost :D

Cheers, Hugh (with very effective cup holders)

Hugh,
That was an SOR post. Please re-post as I would like to do it myself...........

Regards......Dan :beer:

Yeah, I am interested in the cupholder project

I think I will get this job done. At idle I've noticed the engine is a bit lumpy. It's also at least 2 years since I changed the plugs and have never touched the cap or rotor. I have ordered the OEM cap ($21) Rotor ($14) but will likely go non OEM for the leads (was quoted $212 by Toyota)
There was mention in an earlier post about measuring the resistance in the leads. I've seen this in the FSM and think I can work out how to do it. What is the tool I need to do this measuring? Is the tool going to cost more than the leads? In which case I might as well just order the leads.

Cheers, Jim :beer:

Jim,
The tool is a multi-meter. They are available in our Radio Shacks (one on every corner here in the US) for about $15.

I bought a used Fluke (commercial quality) at a pawn shop for about the same amount.

You will be using the ohms setting. Another member posted the min/max value and I'm sure it is in the FSM.

-B-

As you may have seen from my Brake Pipe Alert the truck is at the garage today. I was a little hasty with my diagnosis -It's a good job I don't have a panic or global destruct button - I could have have ended it all unnecessarily.
Anyway, I've had a word with the mechanic and he will take the ohm reading for me. I'll look up the correct reading and report back with it (and my own reading)

Cheers, Jim

Mechanic reported that the readings were from 16 to 19.
The longest lead had a reading of 16 which he rekoned was fine. Now I'm at home and have had a look in the FSM. The manual says MAXIMUM RESISTANCE : 25k per cord. So, is a lower reading a better reading. Do mine pass the test? :dunno:

Cheers, Jim :beer:

Yes,
Low resistance is a good thing. Kinda like when you eat too much cheese there is a high resistance. Then, after you eat a few dozen prunes there is a low resistance.

You're fine.
-B-

:D I bought an '96 FZJ80 w/ 96,000 and change in March- I changed the cap/ rotor out and lo and be- HOLD! It ran 1000% better- ALWAYS USE TOYOTA PARTS. Aftermarket cap/ rotors are garbage-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom