1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tundra V8 into a 60-Series???

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by intense1, Aug 18, 2006.

1. intense1

intense1

Anyone ever thought about putting a Tundra V8 into a 60/62? Way more power, better economy, reliability, lots of performance mods avalible, etc. You would need either an adapter for the engine/tranny, or the tranny/xfer case. And then of course driveshafts and motor mounts.... What do you all think?

2. OlympiaFJ60

OlympiaFJ60

I have thought about this. Does any one make a dual transfer case for the tundra with v8? Marlin for example. If they did, couldn't you just use the factory A/T-Dual Tcase-4speed tcase. To solve the drive train problem that is. Then there is all the wiring of course.

3. intense1

intense1

I don't really know about that. I haven't started looking into it yet. I just want more power and better economy and I can't justify putting a 12k diesel conversion into a 8k truck. I'm at 212k now and its getting toward rebuild time and I don't wanna F engine anymore.

4. RredFJ40

RredFJ40

My bet is that you'd spend close to or more than a diesel conversion. You've got to source an engine, fabrication work, all the wiring that would go into it, etc

5. RredFJ40

RredFJ40

It's definetely been talked about before, though. And would make a sweet conversion!

6. intense1

intense1

I've seen salvage engines avalible for less than 5K... A diesel starts at about 8.

7. Mountain Goat

Mountain Goat

I picked up a 12H-T for $6500. 85K miles. Near factory spec compression. Can't wait to get it installed. Engine mounts are the only serious mod required and I got those with the engine. You'll need an H55F, but every '60 does anyway.:cheers:

8. brownbear

brownbear Mod in Hibernation Moderator

I doubt with tranny, wiring harness, and accesories. Then you have custom driveshafts, angle problems to your offset diffs. etc etc etc. Easier and cheaper to go with a GM gasser.

But I agree the tundra v8 is really nice. But it would be soo custom it would rival the cost of a diesel.

9. Tinker

Tinker

Let me again quote what my mechanic friend said with more than a little sarcasm when I suggested this as we discussed my impending SBC conversion:
    "Why don't you pick something that's REALLY hard?"

Rod Millen's Toyota-financed 55 with Tundra/V8 Landcruiser running gear allegedly cost $250,000 to build. Of course some of that was to section the body lengthwise & widen it.

10. beaufort-fj60

beaufort-fj60

Media:
    Albums:
    you can remove the emissions crap off a road version of a Toyota v8 and use the simplified marine harness. there is a boat dealer in Atlanta that sells the parts.

11. Mike S

Mike S

The Toyota V8 would be nice. I think they use these engines in the UZJ100 trucks, eh?

Or do the obvious - drop in a GM Vortec engine. Terrific relaiability, LOTS of adapters and performance parts, cheap to buy, easy to set up with an H55F and split case...

Just a thot.

12. intense1

intense1

13. hodag

hodag

You beat me to it. There is a guy on the FJ55 board that has done it, but he is a Toyota technician and had access to a wrecked Sequoia or Tundra.

Hodag

14. beaufort-fj60

beaufort-fj60

Media:
    Albums:
  15. brownbear

brownbear Mod in Hibernation Moderator

if you are really serious, buy a wreaked truck. Not just an engine. Then you have all pieces you need to make it happen.

16. Cruisergreg

Cruisergreg

you can stick just about any powertrain into any other vehicle, all it takes is money...

17. MrPaulSims

MrPaulSims

Media:
  18. rcmccars

rcmccars

its bin done search project x2. you could call sleeoffroad i think they helped andcould give you a good idea of what it would take to do it. i think the bigist challange is either a t-case adapter or a centered rear diff, wireing and ecu programing.

19. Elbert

Elbert SILVER Star

20. Big Cruiser Guy

Big Cruiser Guy

Media:
    Albums:
    I think we've ALL thought about that.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">