Tundra Rims (complete how-to) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A few months ago I was searching for rims as I needed to replace my failing aftermarket rims before purchasing new tires. That's when I discovered Tundra rims as a viable option. A quick search here showed several posts on this topic, however it was lacking details. I hope this will help somebody who has the same questions as I did, who wants to tackle this project.

I'm working on a '98 Land Cruiser and fitted stock 2016 Tundra aluminum rims & tires.

I read that Tundra rims hit and people have even used spacers, but couldn't find exactly what they hit and what the spacers fixed. I've found the Tundra rims fit perfectly with Tundra OEM 18' w/ 275/65 tires without spacers, however I do have an OME suspension lift with a Slee diff drop. IMHO I think this will still work on a stock 100, but don't hold me to it.

The only thing I found that hits is the front center caps. It only has some slight interference and this is why I'm writhing this detailed "How To".

First I ordered new lug nuts that fit the 2016 Tundra rims. The stock '98’s have a shank that are too long, apparently there was a lug nut change around 2011. I used Toyota PN# 90942-A1001, eBay listed them for about $75 for the set. I also ordered new dust covers for the front hubs form American Toyota (purely optional as I wanted the look of the new dust covers).

Next I removed the Toyota emblem and precisely centered drilled the pilot holes in the front caps.

I've read someone used a hole-saw running it backwards, but personally don't like the rough hole it leaves.

Instead I used a Greenlee slug buster knockout for a 1 3/4 conduit (standard knockout may break the plastic) the inside diameter was just enough clearance for the dust cover and is why I needed to be precisely centered with my pilot hole.

I sanded the nubs off on the inside of the cap to allow the knockout to fit flush- this ended up not being an issue and may be omitted.

Now looking at the hub, you'll see too raised nubs, and you'll want to concentrate on the ones that are evenly spaced next to the spoke (the other nub has these nuts spaced around the lug nut).

Now I put the pry slot on the nub that was spaced around the lug nuts. This was so that I can keep both the same and know what end is what I was working on.

I marked the center of the two nuts on each hub cap and ground clearance slots using a carbide burr mounted in the drill press. This afforded the best control over using a standard die grinder.

I did a little at a time and test fitted until I was happy with fitment. The cap seemed to snap on but didn’t feel like it was quite rite. So I used some clay and pressed them in the areas I wanted to check for clearance issues. I suspected the other two nuts opposite of what I just fitted was hitting. Sure enough I could see the small indents in the clay and used the burr to remove some of the plastic to clear the nuts.

Now the caps snap in like they are supposed to, and the reveal is what a proper fitting cap should look like.

This is an easy project and think the spacers are merely for looks. If the spacers are used beforehand the amount of center cap modifications would be lessened to some degree if not eliminated, notching the inner center cap aremay be the only thing that is needed.

When these tires are worn out I’ll look at fitting an aggressive and bigger tire and possibly using a spacer. I have my doubts that spacers are as bad as some people think, but that’s a whole new discussion!

Cheers,

Dean

IMG_5414.jpg

IMG_5416.jpg

IMG_5450.jpg

IMG_5452.jpg

Saved for more pictures.

IMG_5453.jpg

IMG_5454.jpg

IMG_5459.jpg

IMG_5469.jpg

IMG_5470.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Nice work, and the best color around! ;)

IMG_1399.PNG
Looks awesome. I put same wheels on my '00. Dremeled out hole to fit cap, trimmed inside cap @ lugs. Have heard on here that 16" caps may fit fronts w similar trimming @ lug area on these 18's. The centers for the '03-07' may fit these as well.

Bringing this back up. I got these exact wheels and mounted them on my LX470. Noticed some vibration, felt like they are not balanced. Took to a tire shop, as I installed them on the vehicle myself. Shop tells me the wheel does not fit flush to the wheel hub. There is a small gap, causing them to wobble. I asked if running a different lug nut would help and they said without lug nuts on they cannot push the wheel onto the tire so it is flush against the hub? I guess I just need to run wheels spacers and be done with this? Anybody know why this happens and the fix?

I used the BFH method with the 20" Platinum Tundra wheels/tire combo I just picked up, and it worked great.

52675741696__D2123686-011D-40FA-AB4A-402E94339858.JPG.jpeg

What exactly did you modify with the BFH Method? Also I have fitment issues at all 4 corners.

I just had to flatten the top of the dust cover on the center of the front hubs. Took quite a few good wallops, but flattened down nicely enough to click the center caps back on the wheels. YMMV, with different Tundra wheels…but that was the case with these particular wheels. Lots of info in the photos thread…

Bringing this back up. I got these exact wheels and mounted them on my LX470. Noticed some vibration, felt like they are not balanced. Took to a tire shop, as I installed them on the vehicle myself. Shop tells me the wheel does not fit flush to the wheel hub. There is a small gap, causing them to wobble. I asked if running a different lug nut would help and they said without lug nuts on they cannot push the wheel onto the tire so it is flush against the hub? I guess I just need to run wheels spacers and be done with this? Anybody know why this happens and the fix?
Your lug nuts need to be replaced with the new style. The shank is shorter on the new style. I found out they changed when doing mine. I thought I mentioned this but will add this if I didn't! Sorry.

Ok, sounds like that will not fix my problem I am having interference with the back of the wheel and the wheel mounting surface. The tire shop said, even without lug nuts off the vehicle, they cannot push the tire on to seat flush with the wheel mounting surface. Previous response involved the BFH method, which was referencing the dust covers and center caps. Center caps are not my issue, I already trimmed the center caps to fit in the front. Assuming, I will just have to get spacers to fix this? Anyone else with these newer Tundra 18" wheels run into this? Spacer the only solution?

Check your lug nuts, the research I did shows these are the same (1998 & 2016 wheels). The only thing that I found that hits was the center cap, and this only applies to the front due to the hub.
See the attached pictures of the stock size lug nuts that wouldn't work with the new rims.

0E6FCD0F-7853-4990-AAE5-2F0E57B029D8.JPG

357EB323-7F82-44BB-ACE1-1CADEDB372C4.JPG

AF24F23C-7AB7-4195-B5A3-82E481017BFE.JPG

So you used 2016 Tundra Lug Nuts correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom