Tundra Diesel at SEMA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just got back from Sema. They had a "project diesel Tundra" . Crew cab dually with 8.0 litre Hino diesel with a 6 speed manual. I talked with the guy in charge of the project and he did not want to give an answer to when it might be out. After talking with him for a while he said probaly 2 years. No pics but the motor looked nice.

Wow.

That is a hugr truck+ 6cyl 8L diesel:beer:

Although I'm sure I'm gonna have a hard time saying no to this tundra... But should it ever show up with a diesel engine, I'm sure the price tag will be astronomical. Why cant they sell a 4 cylinder turbo diesel tacoma in the USA? Is diesel efficiency in a truck only justifiable when you're driving a dually or huge quad cab 4x4 monster? I convert usa trucks to what they build in the rest of the world for a living, so I know better than most that it is possible. Most of our converted 4x4 trucks see over 30 mpgs. I know of no one who wouldn't buy one if they sold them here. Who doesnt want a 30 mpg 4x4 truck? It seems that Toyota diesels are always "2 years out" for their diesels coming to America. 4 years ago, I saw a D-4D prototype at SEMA and did it ever come here? I'd be first in line for a diesel tacoma but I dont see it happening any time before 2012. Look at the price of a grand cherokee with the CRD. It costs almost $40k! For $5k more you're in ML320 CDI territory. Automakers cant put inexpensive diesel engines in vehicles any more. With all the emission controls, complicated fuel systems, and cutting edge technology turbos, it costs too much to make a profit on them. Diesels are not simple to produce and a lot of high tech equipment goes into building them. If people wanna start seeing more diesels, stop buying gassers! Nothing changes automakers minds like slow sales. At that point, they'd find a way to put flux capacitors in them if it'd get people back into showrooms.

Although I'm sure I'm gonna have a hard time saying no to this tundra... But should it ever show up with a diesel engine, I'm sure the price tag will be astronomical. Why cant they sell a 4 cylinder turbo diesel tacoma in the USA? Is diesel efficiency in a truck only justifiable when you're driving a dually or huge quad cab 4x4 monster? I convert usa trucks to what they build in the rest of the world for a living, so I know better than most that it is possible. Most of our converted 4x4 trucks see over 30 mpgs. I know of no one who wouldn't buy one if they sold them here. Who doesnt want a 30 mpg 4x4 truck? It seems that Toyota diesels are always "2 years out" for their diesels coming to America. 4 years ago, I saw a D-4D prototype at SEMA and did it ever come here? I'd be first in line for a diesel tacoma but I dont see it happening any time before 2012. Look at the price of a grand cherokee with the CRD. It costs almost $40k! For $5k more you're in ML320 CDI territory. Automakers cant put inexpensive diesel engines in vehicles any more. With all the emission controls, complicated fuel systems, and cutting edge technology turbos, it costs too much to make a profit on them. Diesels are not simple to produce and a lot of high tech equipment goes into building them. If people wanna start seeing more diesels, stop buying gassers! Nothing changes automakers minds like slow sales. At that point, they'd find a way to put flux capacitors in them if it'd get people back into showrooms.

Very well stated! I do not need a 4x4 monster. A Tacoma is just fine.

Me wants Toyota diesel.

Personally I'm holding out for the next generation Fords.

I hear it's a Quad Turbo, 12L, 10speed 8 Door (F-Million). They are designing it for the Alberta Soccer/Hockey Mom Association. It's supposed to come standard with Panda Skin Seats, 30" wheels, and bumpers with pikes on them to ensure they kill every one they hit.

They also come with optional genuine ivory trim.

I imagine they it will still come with the weak ass Dana 30s to unsure it will break down at the slightest amount of real 4x4 action.

The Sema tundra was cute but not in any way based in reality. It was actaully a five speed manual I think.

How long you think that IFS would hold up to an 8l Hino?

I expect the Tundra will get the 4.5L 1VD that the 200 sereis LC has and it'll get the six speed auto. (same as the 6.7l Cummins Dodge.)

It would actually be a kick butt truck in that form but would not out-pull the big three's offerings.

I expect the Tundra will get the 4.5L 1VD that the 200 sereis LC has and it'll get the six speed auto. (same as the 6.7l Cummins Dodge.).

Ditto ..

I'm not sure ( and maybe never will ) why Toyota are messing with Hiny engines when they already have a proud EURO IV readu emision engine ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom