tundra 10,5 axle on a land cruiser 80 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi ,
I own a land cruiser 70 series with 80 series axle, me engine is a 1fzfe modify to generate 400hp on the wheels (40 inch tires) the first set of gears werettoyota 9.5 30 spline 4.88 gears g2 .. I broke it , on the street... then change toyota 32 spline 4.88 gears nitro gear ... last more but broke again.... now Im using the same gear but I treat her with care,

I found a really chaep tundra 10.5 axle... take some measures and can be done.... I think, I bougth 6 lug hub and spindle of a GM 14 bolts aftermarket.
my only concern is to find a company who fabricate a custom axleshaft... it the same diameter of a 14bolts, but are 36 spline and diferent pitch

Front Range Offroad can help you with axle shafts They get them fro RCV and cut to length

Branik can make custom shafts as well

thanks ,
i will keep posting on progress

@pocholin
What are you planning to do for a locker? Locker/diff selection could open up options to use more common spline patterns or off the shelf axles. If you go ARB, I have read that you can change out the side gears to 35 spline on the tundra 10.5 unit to use more commonly available axle shafts. Another option is a spool with splines of your choice. These guys build a 10.5" tundra spool but they do not advertise it. You have to email them and they can quote you.

@pocholin
What are you planning to do for a locker? Locker/diff selection could open up options to use more common spline patterns or off the shelf axles. If you go ARB, I have read that you can change out the side gears to 35 spline on the tundra 10.5 unit to use more commonly available axle shafts. Another option is a spool with splines of your choice. These guys build a 10.5" tundra spool but they do not advertise it. You have to email them and they can quote you.

thank mate...

Im going with ARB locker... I didnt know I can change the side gears... that will be awesome ... !!!!!!.. do you have any idea who can give me that info...

Last edited:
thank mate...

Im going with ARB locker... I didnt know I can change the side gears... that will be awesome ... !!!!!!.. do you have any idea who can give me that info...
I’m pretty sure i read the info on the side gear swap here here posted by @bjowett

Yes, the side gears can be swapped on some ARB diffs so different axle sizes/splines can fit. You'll need to talk with a tech at ARB.
I did call ARB about this around a year or so ago, and the tech person I talked to was clueless. I'm not questioning you, but it will take some persistence in finding the right person to get to the solution of swapping side gears successfully, if it is possible.

I spoke with the Latin American arb representative and he told me that this should definitely be consulted with the arb engineers... Many of their parts share the same sizes to lower production costs.
since the axleshafts are customized, I think that making them with the tundra splines is cheaper than buying the spidergear from the arb locker.

Here is the info that ARB gave me 12 years back... the side gears of the RD146 need to be swapped for the RD115 or RD166/167 units. Those are Dana 60 and 70 units. The spider gear kits are expensive $600 - $700+. So I see why @pocholin is having shafts produced.

Looking at the diagrams, the shared parts in the spider section are easy to spot. This makes it look like a go... but please verify with someone at ARB that is in the know.

Here is the info that ARB gave me 12 years back... the side gears of the RD146 need to be swapped for the RD115 or RD166/167 units. Those are Dana 60 and 70 units. The spider gear kits are expensive $600 - $700+. So I see why @pocholin is having shafts produced.

Looking at the diagrams, the shared parts in the spider section are easy to spot. This makes it look like a go... but please verify with someone at ARB that is in the know.

That's crazy they are half the price of the locker! Thanks for the info.

what I know so far, dana 70 35 spline and more, 14 bolts 30 spline only but they are with different pitch, tundra 36 spline, they all share the same diameter 1.5 inches I have already written to those who recommended me, I am waiting for their response, I don't call them because my English is terrible

ARB p/n 728K041 (Dana 60 35 spline spider gear set) will fit into RD146.

I have a Ruff Stuff housing, with 14 bolt spindles and 6 lug hubs that I'm building.

PaulC

More progress on test fitting parts, RD146 with Dana 60 side gears. My friend loaned me a front inner Dana 60 axle shaft. Fit well. Time to get the diffs set up and measure for shafts.

Dana 60, 35 spline, front inner axle fits like a glove inside the Toyota 10.5" ARB.

#dana_60
#toyota_tundra
#FJ40
#ruffstuffspecialties
#ARB
#arbairlocker

PaulC

ARB p/n 728K041 (Dana 60 35 spline spider gear set) will fit into RD146.

I have a Ruff Stuff housing, with 14 bolt spindles and 6 lug hubs that I'm building.

PaulC

this is the best news I have.. its much better to change the spider gear ..., what did you used. I bought the spline and hub from ruffstuff to for my rear convertion

I'm using 14 bolt spindles and hubs (drilled for 6 lug) so I can use the 80 series disc brakes. For axle shafts I'll getting Moser Engineering shafts made with 35 splines and 14 bolt flanges.

PaulC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom