Tuffy install in a '80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have any photos of how the Tuffy installs in an '80 FJ40? I acquired a Tuffy from a Mud member for a different year and the available mounting brackets show a three piece part. Don't know what the other two pieces are for or where they would go. Seems kinda pricy for a small spacer bracket and I'm trying to see if it's worth buying or just make it.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I installed a Tuffy in my 1980, and didn't use the bracket or their instructions - I didn't want to drill any new holes in my tub. I took off the stock plastic center console, measured where the four stock mounting bolts for that were, marked the bottom of the Tuffy, and drilled it for the four holes. I used two 1/4" (?) nylon spacers from Lowe's and longer bolts in the rear holes to make it sit level and not pinch any wires running underneath it. I find the height to be just right as an armrest, but I'm 6"2" and have long arms. Granted, the four bolts are small and would not hold up to serious prying, but the thing is amazingly sturdy and has held up through one side flop already. I'm very happy with the way it turned out. I don't have any pictures of it not installed, but here are some with it installed:

083.jpg

084.jpg

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0774.jpg

IMG_0773.jpg

BEWARE:::: as I am sure you know....the fuel tank is just below.!!

First time I smogged my 1980....it passed...except the vacuum test..replaced ALL the lines under the hood and breather...still failed...Long story short-er...the PO had drillrd a hole to mount aftermarket console..and drilled into te top of tank....and there not that much fun to get out....

BEWARE:::: as I am sure you know....the fuel tank is just below.!!

First time I smogged my 1980....it passed...except the vacuum test..replaced ALL the lines under the hood and breather...still failed...Long story short-er...the PO had drillrd a hole to mount aftermarket console..and drilled into te top of tank....and there not that much fun to get out....

Yes, another excellent reason to use the existing mounting holes/captured nuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom