Tuffy in a BJ42 (with rear heater) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

polarweasel

Where's mah cruzah?
Threads
Website
polarweasel.org
I've searched, and haven't come up with anything...

Can someone show me some pics of a BJ42 with a Tuffy console installed? I need to retain the rear heater (nuthin' like a soft top in the winter!), and I'm wondering if that will involve doing a bit of cutting and re-welding on the console.

why not post this question in the 40's section. i dont know if all the 40's and 42's have similar enough interiors, but if they do there are more folks in there with pics of there vehicles. also in the for sale vehicles section there is a few bj42's maybe someone there knows.

I did a pile of searching in the 40 section, and all I came up with was a bunch of people asking the same question I did. :)

Consensus over there seems to be "remove the rear heater, you don't need it," but I rather like being warm in the winter, so I don't much care for that option...

I might just have to get a console at some point, and get a friend to cut and weld it shorter, or something. We'll see.

The only solution I came up with was to change the heater out to an earlier model and mount it behind the tuffy. if it meant tuffy or no rear heat I would go without the tuffy here.

Thought there was a tuffy set up for rear heat? It had holes and a raised area to clear them...The CCOT one has a kit to raise it over...

Thick cushion! my console is just the right height to smash my elbow on when I'm, bouncing around...went over a pothole and hit my funny bone so hard I couldn't feel my hand for what seemed like hours...

The Tuffy set up for rear heat is just set up for the early rear heaters that are in the bed, not the later ones that are right under the console... they just have holes cut out for the coolant lines that run to the heater.

Hi Alex,

I pm'd you, so here's a couple pics I happened to have (not too detailed). The short of it is:

I removed the heater completely.

I had to mount the console as far back as possible to get clearance for the gear shift.

HTH
B
Tuffy console BJ42.jpg
Bikini topless BJ42 010.jpg

Cool, thanks Diescipel! PMed you back, too.

I'm getting the feeling there's no good way to keep the rear heater in a later-model 40. My options seem to be:

a) remove the rear heater and cap the lines
b) get an older-style heater and mount it further back
c) get the Tuffy and cut and weld till it fits

If I can rope a friend into doing the sheet-metal welding for me, I might go for option C. :)

I finally took some detail pics of the Tuffy in my BJ42--here they are as promised:
Tuffy in a BJ42 003.jpg
Tuffy in a BJ42 005.jpg
Tuffy in a BJ42 008.jpg

So you can see the clearance issues with the radio compartment open & 2nd gear. Here's some more:
Tuffy in a BJ42 001.jpg
Tuffy in a BJ42 004.jpg
Tuffy in a BJ42 007.jpg

Thanks for the very helpful pics! If you were to do it again, could you have (easily) mounted it any farther back to clear the shifter, or would you just bend the shifter?

And any idea how much interior space I'd lose in the Tuffy if I cut it to fit around the heater? I really don't want to lose that heater!

And on another note, I see you've got Reflectix on the firewall. Where all did you put that stuff, and did it help much with noise/heat? I've got a roll sitting on a shelf, waiting to get installed in my 60, but the 42 may be a higher priority. :)

I haven't spent any time around a 40 series to know what's under the seats. But could you use a 60 series style rear heater under the passeger seat? (BTW, I know someone who has an extra. ;))

Not much room under there... you didn't buy that heater from me a couple years ago, did you? What's the height on that thing? It might could work...

Polarweasel- Might take a look at the Oitlander ultimate II locking console(try google) or www.quadratec.com/products/14012_0XX_07_PG.htm

I've really like this console. It has several compartments,comes in Gray,black,red,denim,etc. I've put this in two of my landcruisers. Usually only $75.00 or $80.00 including shipping. There's four drink holders(two adjustable in front,two fixed for rear),lift out tray,etc. theres enough room in rear compartment to install the guts from my center console from my 83BJ42just need to cut out rear of console fot ducting. Havent had the time yet.

Also, it fits perfectly between the seats and doesn't interfere with the gear shift.

Thanks for the very helpful pics! If you were to do it again, could you have (easily) mounted it any farther back to clear the shifter, or would you just bend the shifter?

And any idea how much interior space I'd lose in the Tuffy if I cut it to fit around the heater? I really don't want to lose that heater!

And on another note, I see you've got Reflectix on the firewall. Where all did you put that stuff, and did it help much with noise/heat? I've got a roll sitting on a shelf, waiting to get installed in my 60, but the 42 may be a higher priority. :)

I did actually have to re-mount it further back. When I first installed it, I could barely get the truck into 2nd gear with the radio compartment open. Now I just smash my fingers if I have them fully wrapped around the shift knob, which I just don't do anymore. Still gets my friends when I let them drive it though :doh: . I would not bend the shifter as that is messing a little too much with the stock cruiser configuration for my taste.

I ended up flipping some things around, drilling some new holes in the Tuffy, and doing some new tapping into my alu tub (I thought it might fail and pull out, but hasn't yet. If it does I'll just put a bolt on the backside, a PITA but doable). My guess is you would have less flexibility on a steel tub/stock truck.

I would say you would lose a lot of the interior room in the Tuffy if you cut it to fit around the heater. Check that rear pic and use some scale to compare to your currently heater-equipped truck. that's what I would do. I keep my little tool kit, maps, flares, etc. in the Tuffy so they won't get lifted when I have the top off in the summer -- I need all that space. I would say that you can raise the Tuffy as the armrest is not quite high enough for me, but there's not enough play to totally clear the heater. Maybe a combo of modifications can get you what you want. And that is, after all, why we all drive cruisers, no? ;)

Reflectix: Thanks to Wayne/crushers for the suggestion, apparently an old Canuck diesel cruiser trick. I have it all along the floor, over the tranny hump, and up the firewall. You can cut mostly big pieces but then if you use that aluminized heating tape along with smaller pieces you can construct a pretty custom, shape-conforming result. I have 2-3 layers of it and I have to say it heat insulates great but my god the difference in noise is amazing. When I first got my truck I was running petrol diesel, BFG mudterrains, and had no isulation, consequently I had to wear earplugs for long drives. No longer needed between the bioD, all-terrains, and the insulation. But the insulation was the #1 factor in quieting it down.

HTH

B

Polarweasel- Might take a look at the Oitlander ultimate II locking console(try google) or www.quadratec.com/products/14012_0XX_07_PG.htm

I've really like this console. It has several compartments,comes in Gray,black,red,denim,etc. I've put this in two of my landcruisers. Usually only $75.00 or $80.00 including shipping. There's four drink holders(two adjustable in front,two fixed for rear),lift out tray,etc. theres enough room in rear compartment to install the guts from my center console from my 83BJ42just need to cut out rear of console fot ducting. Havent had the time yet.

Also, it fits perfectly between the seats and doesn't interfere with the gear shift.

Though I kinda like the Tuffy's boxy look, I wish I knew about these when I was shopping for a console.

B

That's a good looking console... how does it fit/bolt in? What are the dimensions?

weasel, I'm not the guy who bought your rear heater. I've got an extra because I'm parting out a 60 series. I'll try to get a measurement of the rear heater box tomorrow.

Dimensions 27.25"L x 8.25"W x 12.25"H. Fits just snug between the seats. It comes with mounting bracket for the rear that attaches to the bottom of the console and bolts/screws to the tub. Height is just right for my arm to rest on. Here's another link. http://tops4less.com/uliilocecob2.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom