Tuffy console size (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have read the threads about installing a tuffy in the fj62 but what is the best size to get width wise and with or without the stereo storage? Best place to find a good slection of them?

thanks

J B

I have read the threads about installing a tuffy in the fj62 but what is the best size to get width wise and with or without the stereo storage? Best place to find a good slection of them?

thanks

J B

Outside dimensions are the same for both models (with or without stereo compartment) so that will come down to a matter of personal choice. If you are not going to store a radio of some sort the Series II offers more storage space. If you need a place to mount a radio, the Deluxe Stereo console provides an ideal place to do so.

Most people have been ordering either 6.5" or 8" wide consoles for the FJ62 (majority 8" wide) depending on the seats they have mounted. Best bet is to measure the available mounting space you have with your seats in place.

8" wide. It is cheaper if you order directly from Tuffy. Excellent customer service except you need to know exactly what you are ordering. Helps if you have the parts numbers from their online catalog.

EDIT: I think they just changed their website so you can now order online. I ordered mine a couple of months ago when you still had to order by phone or fax.

Scince mr. Tuffy himself is here, perhaps you can help me with a question that has gone unanswered before...

Is there any tuffy that accomodates the european spec "between the seats" rear heater in the 60? Or are they all flat-floored and would require a lot of fabbing to work?

I bought the 8" Tuffy for my 60. It was really easy to install and I really like having cup holders and a semi-secure place to put my stuff. My wife got it at CCOT. I do not know if it was the best price or not, but it did come with brackets for the 60. There other threads which show how to make your own on here. Good luck.
P.S. I have new SOR Tuff seat covers which I really like now. It looks a lot better.
installed tuffy.jpg

Scince mr. Tuffy himself is here, perhaps you can help me with a question that has gone unanswered before...

Is there any tuffy that accomodates the european spec "between the seats" rear heater in the 60? Or are they all flat-floored and would require a lot of fabbing to work?

Doesn't the 62 have a center rear heater? Do you have pictures of what the top of the heater looks like and how the stock center console normally attaches?

Get the Tuffy with the stereo slot. I much prefer that location to the dash mount.
Driving down the trail, one hand on the steering wheel. Other elbow resting on the console, fingers just naturally fall on the radio buttons...much better than the long reach to the dash.
Plus, you get to keep your radio forever.

No, my laptop will not fit in my Tuffy console. But a 12 disc CD changer does, with room to spare.

Doesn't the 62 have a center rear heater? Do you have pictures of what the top of the heater looks like and how the stock center console normally attaches?

Here's the OEM center heater-console from a 1987 HJ60 body. Note the switch for the heater fan on the top of the console, and the lever for hot/cold and air outlet on the rear face of the console. Assume some fabbing must be done to make the tuffy work? (make a hole for the rear air, and a recess/niche for the lever?).
DSC02324.jpg
DSC02325.jpg
DSC02327.jpg

thanks for all the help

All of the Tuffy consoles have a flat bottom. In order to maintain the rear heater you would have to do some fabbing. I am not super familiar with the heater setup so can not give suggestions as to what would have to be done. Will have to look for one next time I am out on the trail somewhere.

Hei. Nice leather seats. You dropped a 1 krone coin behind your console. :)

Gotta love them leather seats! PO put them in, from a mazda 626 IIRC. Elec. adjustments in all directions, and elec. heating.

...and no, I don't have money to throw around, just haven't tidyed the rig lately;)

Last edited:
I think it's the 10" I have in mine. Can't remember for sure without measuring, but it's the one that's a step down from the widest. I also have the DIN pocket in mine that I have my Cobra CB mounted in (and I STILL have to wire the fxxxer in). I might drill the front panel of my console for ventilation for the CB. Either that or just cut a big hole and put a speaker grille over it.

No pics since I corrected the positioning of my console, but I'll try to get some when I get back stateside if this thread is still active.

I have the 10" sitting in mine waiting for me to get around to installing it. One note - to those who have had easier or more difficult times installing these in a FJ60. In my June 1987 parts truck, the tuffy sits just right on the stock welded in bracket that holds a rather FJ62ish console. In my October 1984 FJ60 the brackets are much lower and the stock console is the lower and smaller one that I always associate with FJ60's. For all of those with the CCOT bracket issues, maybe the problem is that you have one style or the other of stock console with brackets... I will be trying the install this week, unfortunately into the 10/84. Anyone who wants to 'donate' the CCOT brackets for me to check which truck they go with...

tuffy console on a 62? w/ rr heater functioning.

I have an 88 62, and I've thinkin about the tuffy console too. I think that's what some of the peeps here wanna see....a tuffy console installed on a 62 w/ the rear heater functioning, right? :hmm: any 62 owners fab their console to accommodate it?

jz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom