Tuffy center console mod - simple, cheap, useful (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Add this to my list of inexpensive Home Depot mods posted here on Mud for my 40 (stone guards, axe & shovel mounts, baja light mounts, radi reservoir mount, etc).

I have always noticed, since I put in the Tuffy center console when I first got my rig, that I would routinely reach over with my right hand to stabilize myself when turning corners (or just driving a rig like a 40 around). I would also routinely need to use 1 hand - while driving - to open the console to get at something. Neither of these actions was facilitated by the Tuffy's design. So, I came up with a simple solution a while back. $1.50 kitchen cabinet drawer handle mounted to the front top of the console allows me a place to grab and stabilize when turning corners and allows fast, simple 1 handed opening..... and it looks pretty cool and not like a $1.50 mod. cheap and super useful. once you do it, you will wonder why they are not designed this way to begin with.

The handle in place
tuffy1.jpg

stabilizing in turns
tuffy2.jpg

1 handed opening
tuffy3.jpg

right on , now if i can just afford a tuffy console!!!happy trails cubb

Does the handle interfere with yo' fo'ty;) Or do you have a cupholder on yours?

I....................................................LIKE IT!!!:bounce:

Ed

Does the handle interfere with yo' fo'ty;) Or do you have a cupholder on yours?

I....................................................LIKE IT!!!:bounce:

Ed

who the hell invested in a Tuffy and didn't get the cup holder... pleeez :eek: I just got the Tuffy so I could have a place for the cup holder

Brilliant! On my way to Home Depot now.

dude, just do not get the same handle as mine. HD has all kinds of designs, you could even go to Home EXpo for the top shelf shiznit, so no reason to copy my exact handle :flipoff2:

(post up a photo if you actually do it)

right on , now if i can just afford a tuffy console!!!happy trails cubb

:princess:saw one in a friends rig and wanted to know why we didn't have one. Wimmens are strange creatures, I could have tried to justify a Tuffy for weeks and she wouldn't have understood.

Great ideal.....have a 78 fj40, been trying too restore....that i will use. It's all stock W/32x1250x15.... rims are stock centers widen to 9" and powder coated hammer tone gray,also bumper,parts of dash, glove box, wiper housing & spare tire mount.... Soon will be doing a TBI smog update.....still deciding on 4.3 or 5.7,.... auto or stick, have both engines....HMMMM!!!!.... THANKS

trying to hijack?? well even if you arn't i haven't done this yet...

:flipoff2:WELCOME TO MUD:flipoff2:

and sounds good.. post pics of your cabinet handle when you get it....

Thanks for this suggestion. Somewhere near the bottom of my winter task list for my 40 is installing the same Tuffy console that you show in your pictures. I purchased mine so I could lock up the stereo receiver and almost more importantly for the cup holder.

I'm going to have to get used to not being able to keep the console open while driving, something I can do on my present "add on top of the OEM console" that I have. The Tuffy instructions explain why they designed it this way, but I have to disagree with their reasoning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom