Tube rear bumper + Viper Cut + TKO Fabrication Sliders on Gen 1 LX570 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hopefully these pics show a bit more how I went about the front cut. I also blacked out the center portion like @TeCKis300 did to give it more of a 4runner vibe. I like the look a lot. There was obviously a substantial amount of plastic to remove and the fog lights truthfully are quite exposed. However, with the AHC and 35's I am confident that will not be an issue on most trails this rig will see. I likely soon will also add a HWM and remove the painted aluminum crash bar.

The rear is tied into the corner of the frame/hitch with 1/4" bar as well as the lateral portions of the frame behind the rear wheels and then again, obviously the hitch. I made contact with the passenger rear this weekend and there was no movement. But, like was pointed out, I may need to rework the body mount tab to allow for unrestricted body and frame movement in relation to the rear bumper.

Overall, I am very pleased with the look and the ability to keep the rig light weight but still protected and give it a more aggressive appearance.

I just got an email from CBI for a covert bumper for the new Nissan Frontier. This seems like it'd be a good fit for our trucks and look particularly good with the viper cut you have. Something to mount a winch and a light to.

1661216724483.png

I may go talk to my local guy and see what he can come up with. As high as the viper cut is, in MOST circumstances if you come into contact with a rock it would be the center section since obviously its the lowest point on the bumper. It would be nice to have that whole area steel. Hmmm...

They just need one for the Gen 1 and 2 LX570s now.

Maybe someone needs to do the photo shopping thing @grinchy did with Rival bumper to see where the Covert bumper would land on the 08-11/13-15 LXs. The mounting should work for either i suspect. Just a matter of if the cuts land in a reasonable place.

Maybe someone needs to do the photo shopping thing @grinchy did with Rival bumper to see where the Covert bumper would land on the 08-11/13-15 LXs. The mounting should work for either i suspect. Just a matter of if the cuts land in a reasonable place.

There is zero chance this would look good on a pre-2016. The plastic is so different in terms of physical arrangement of things like the fogs, but also the depth of the grill from the radiator forward.
I tried to show this by:

1) finding two long focal length photos at the same angle to show just how different the proportions are between the two models

1661289360536.png

When you do a virtual fit, you can see why the cut would not work

1661289423831.png

You would likely be trying to cut around that weird empty pocket on the fog lights. On the covert everything below that gets lopped off and the geometric styling of teh grill accounts for it.

There is zero chance this would look good on a pre-2016. The plastic is so different in terms of physical arrangement of things like the fogs, but also the depth of the grill from the radiator forward.
I tried to show this by:

1) finding two long focal length photos at the same angle to show just how different the proportions are between the two models

View attachment 3095148

View attachment 3095149

You would likely be trying to cut around that weird empty pocket on the fog lights. On the covert everything below that gets lopped off and the geometric styling of teh grill accounts for it.

It doesn't look that great, but maybe if it wasn't a contrasting color, it may not look as bad...I'm not going to be dropping $2500 to find out..

Maybe on the 2013-15 (i figured there would be a better chance there) would be closer since they grill area is more similar. The top 60% of the gill is nearly identical.. The fog light recesses probably still cause an issue. When i was mentally picturing where things would land i figured the fog lights would make it in, but i did forget about the holes next to the fog lights. Maybe they could fabricate a wing extension for earlier models. Obviously none of this is going to happen, but just spit-balling. Even with the similar grills...the part that is folded into the Covert bumper to mimic the thickness of the newer grill edges, certainly wouldn't mix with the 13-15 grill edges.

1661289360536-png.3095148
used-2013-lexus-lx_570-4wd4dr-13956-21277747-2-1024.jpg

I know Victory 4x4 @brimy311 makes one for the Tundra. I know the mounting is the same…wonder if you could cut to make work?

View attachment 3095162
I definitely looked for a tundra bumper that could be refit - nice find and this may have some potential.

<edit - i should mention that I think I ruled them out after finding that the frame horn spacing was 1" narrower or so on the 200 chassis.>

I definitely looked for a tundra bumper that could be refit - nice find and this may have some potential.

<edit - i should mention that I think I ruled them out after finding that the frame horn spacing was 1" narrower or so on the 200 chassis.>
Could you just re-drill the mount?

This is starting to grow on me the more I think about it.

Could you just re-drill the mount?

This is starting to grow on me the more I think about it.
Maybe, a lot depends on what the mounting solution to the horns is, which varies by the bumper.
Another option (which I very briefly considered), was sawing the bumper down the middle, taking out a strip, and rewelding it. I'd found an all aluminum Tundra front for like $400 on clearance. Decided in the end that it wasn't going to be a good experiment.

If you weld, and it's steel, getting a workable adapter/mount is probably just a couple hours dorking in the shop.

I tried to show this by:

View attachment 3095148

View attachment 3095149

I agree. Wonder if you could narrow up the vertical side of the CBI. Make the edges of it closer to the recovery points.

I appreciate you pointing that out. I was initially pleased he tied it into the body mount for added stability. I may look into grinding off that tab, he also tied it into the receiver hitch at the back corner near the wrap around. I am thinking losing the body mount tab may not reduce overall stability...I will look closer after work today.
Have you talked to TKO about this? I've been emailing about their sliders with kickouts. Really like this bumper concept too.

Have you talked to TKO about this? I've been emailing about their sliders with kickouts. Really like this bumper concept too.
Was it Tko that also did the rear bumper slider thing?

Or just the sliders on the side?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom