tube bender die size

Discussion in 'HardCore Corner' started by VETTE60, Jun 27, 2005.

1. VETTE60

VETTE60

Media:
    Albums:
    I am looking at buying a jd2 or similar model tube bender, and was wondering for those of you who have one, what would be the most common die size(s) used so ican get the right one. I was thinking either the 1-1/2" or the 2". I would be making sliders, and roll cage etc... also any input on the radius of the die. thanks :confused:

2. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    1-1/2 or 1-3/4 are the two common ones....I'd stick to 1-1/2 and make sure the radius of the die handles a minimum .120 wall (tight radius = kink if you go TOO tight)

3. Rock Taxi

Rock Taxi

I agree with Woody about the 1.5 or 1.75" die. I would suggest a 1.75" 5.5" radius die as a compromise between 1.5 and 2". That is what I find I use on all my own stuff. For fenders and other accessory stuff, 1" or 1 1/4" is nice, but won't get used all that much for the stuff you described above.

If I can, I would suggest that you contact Mike Green of MikeGreen4x4.com ( billyji@hotmail.com ) for pricing on ProTools benders and dies. He's a good friend - as honest as the day is long, and appears to have some of the best pricing around right now.

His website is not back up yet after his around the world trip, but he is back in the states and doing business again.

Ed

4. tornadoalleycruiser

tornadoalleycruiser SILVER Star

I got 1 3/4 and a 3/4. Get a die that goes past 90deg. I only got the 3/4 to do small junk like fenders and or cooler racks.

5. HI^C

HI^C

2" and 1.5" here. both do 180 degrees.

double check local tube prices and local race shops, and such.

HERE you can order lots through race shops using thier discounts. local nhra cage and frame
    builder buys 1000lbs at a time, so pricing to add on your amount on to it is min. uses 1 5/8 and 1 3/4 though. boo.

I like 1.5" for bodied roofs and doing inside cages, i like 2" for open tops and frames.

one die only 1 3/4

6. VETTE60

VETTE60

Media:
    Albums:
    thanks for all of the input fellas, this will help out a lot

7. Radd Cruisers

Radd Cruisers

Are you manual, air over hydrolic, or electric hydrolic?

Wonder if the shipping would kill the deal from the Texas to Western Canada?

Rob

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.