Tub Swap question? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well here is a picture of my new 71 tub that I just got done sandblasting. It is going on my 78. My tranny hump is in pretty rusty so I was wondering if the older tranny humps have the same mounting holes in the firewall as my 78 does? THe other option is I am going to have to cut out the floor support from the 71 tub, and replace it with a piece of flat sheet metal. I could then just buy the correct hump for the 78. I was planning on buying a fiberglass one from JT Outfitters.
thanks

Ryan

Hi All:

Ryan, just buy another 1974 and up tanny hump cover and trim it to fit with the "arch" that the 1968-72 tubs have - that is what I did when I swapped the '68 tub onto my '74 FJ40.

Regards,

Alan
Seattle

That's a pretty clean OE tub, I say find a used tranny hump and if that doesn't work out, go for the glass peice.

Thanks guys, I think i will probably go with your idea Alan. I need to look at mine a little more, it might be worth saving.

Later
Ryan

The tunnel cover from a 74 thru 78 will work if you trim the back off and rework the right side. I installed a 76 tunnel cover when I installed a four speed in my 68. But you might be better off to cut out the floor and replace it with flat metal and use the whole cover. Will make it easier to remove the transfer case since the four speed is three and a half inches longer than the three speed. Between the floor and the cross member I have to drop the back of the engine or pull it to replace the clutch. Toyota changed the tunnel cover and the cross member in 1973 just before changing over to the four speed.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom