TT in circulation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trollhole

THC
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
I know the TLCA is looking at ways of cutting cost or increasing dues and I apologize if this has been brought up before.

Has TLCA ever thought of selling TT outside of it's member base? I know there are a lot of Toyota dealerships that would probably love to carry the magazine not only for themselves but also a circulation for potential customers.

Another idea is to have it mass produced though a company that specializes in circulation of these kinds of magazines. For one you will draw more vendors though advertising since your selling to a more mass market. Two it is more advertising for TLCA to help bring in more vendors. And three it generates more revenue for TLCA.

I'm sure there is a company that does this kind of thing and pays a royalty for use of it.

I'd love to see TT at a grocery store or in a magazine shop at an airport as well as I sure others would also.

It's been discussed a good bit but we can talk about it around the campfire at some point. Bottom line, we're too small.

TJK

Might be worth someone going IMO.

2006 American Magazine Conference Set for October 22-24, at the Arizona Biltmore in Phoenix
Rachael Ray, Senator Barack Obama and Robert F. Kennedy Jr. Among Headliners at the Annual Magazine Industry Event
2006 Cover of the Year to Be Announced

August 23, 2006
New York, NY (August 23, 2006)—Major consumer magazine publishers, editors and other senior-level executives will convene for the 2006 American Magazine Conference (AMC), themed “Beyond the Page,” on October 22-24, at the Arizona Biltmore Hotel and Resort in Phoenix, it was announced by Nina Link, President and CEO, Magazine Publishers of America (MPA). The premier business summit for the magazine publishing industry is hosted by MPA and American Society of Magazine Editors (ASME).

“Today’s converging media environment puts magazine publishers in a prime position to extend their brands through multiplatform strategies,” said Link. “At this year’s AMC, we’ll hear from publishers, editors and leaders from cutting-edge digital companies like Yahoo! and Google about the best ways for magazines to succeed ‘beyond the page.’”

“We revitalized the conference format and clustered several different program elements around topics of interest to our industry, including digital, design and brand-building, to help magazines leverage their strengths and assets in an increasingly multimedia world,” remarked Conference Chair Christie Hefner, Chairman and CEO, Playboy Enterprises Inc.

The conference program, which starts Sunday afternoon and runs through Tuesday lunch, features a lineup of newsmakers including: Sunday keynoter Rachael Ray, Editor-in-Chief of Every Day with Rachael Ray and TV show host; Senator Barack Obama of Illinois, who will be interviewed by New Yorker Editor David Remnick; activist Robert F. Kennedy Jr., who’ll share his views on the environment; Bob Greenberg, Chairman, CEO and Chief Creative Officer of renowned digital agency R/GA; Tim Armstrong, VP, Advertising Sales, Google; Yahoo! COO Dan Rosensweig, who will share his perspective on the digital revolution with Chris Anderson, Editor-in-Chief of Wired and author of The Long Tail; and Steve Riggio, Barnes & Noble CEO, who’ll discuss magazines’ importance to the B&N strategy with Hearst Magazines President Cathie Black.

Conference highlights also include:

Winners of the 2006 Best Cover Competition

A new AMC tradition, ASME will identify the magazine cover of the year, in addition to the best news cover, best fashion cover, best celebrity cover, best service cover and best concept cover. Plus, ASME will honor the best coverline.

“Just What Business Are We In?”

Ann Moore, Chairman and CEO, Time Inc.; Steve Murphy, President and CEO, Rodale Inc.; and moderator Rick Smith, CEO and Chairman, Newsweek, will discuss the changing magazine business in light of the technological revolution and new patterns of consumer media consumption.

“Breakthrough Brands: Case Studies for Success”

Suzanne Hogan, COO, Lippincott Mercer, the pre-eminent brand and design consulting agency, will use client case studies to illustrate the ins and outs of successful brand building and rebuilding in today’s world.

“Designs That Connect: The Power of Creative Branding”

Moderator Chee Pearlman, Director, Chee Company, a top editorial and design consultancy; Brian Collins, Senior Partner, Executive Creative Director of the Brand Integration Group, Ogilvy & Mather; Gael Towey, SVP, Creative Director, Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia; and others will explore connecting with consumers emotionally through design and strategies for creating a powerful brand.

“New Magazine Accountability Research Unveiled”

Michael Clinton, EVP, Chief Marketing Officer and Publishing Director, Hearst Magazines, and Ed Kelly, President and CEO, American Express Publishing, have the 411 on how magazines are meeting marketers’ demands for increased accountability, based on new marketplace data.

“What the Digital Future Holds”

Jeffrey Cole, Director, University of Southern California’s Center for Digital Future, will examine the outlook for magazines in the digital age.

“Media-on-the-Go: Mobile and Magazines”

Jim Ryan, VP of Consumer Data Services, Cingular, will share his company’s bold content deals, the future for mobile and how publishers can profit from mobile platforms.

“Video on Magazine Digital Platforms”

David Carr, Media Columnist, The New York Times, will moderate a panel discussion with magazine digital executives including Allison Tocci, President/Group Publisher, Time Out New York, on the growing importance of video on magazine websites and digital devices.

“20 Ideals in 20 Minutes: Engaging Readers Beyond the Page”

Alfred Edmond, SVP/Editor-in-Chief, Black Enterprise; Amy Astley, Editor-in-Chief, Teen Vogue; Gary Hoenig, Editor-in-Chief, ESPN The Magazine; Christopher Napolitano, Editorial Director, Playboy; and moderator Diane Salvatore, Editor-in-Chief, Ladies’ Home Journal, will highlight the innovative ways editors are connecting with readers beyond the printed page.

“Learning from International Partners”

Michael Brennan, President, Reader’s Digest Latin America, Asia-Pacific; Chris Llewellyn, Managing Director, EMAP International; Fabrizio D’Angelo, Managing Director of International, Mondadori; and Eduardo Michelsen, CEO, Editorial Televisa, share innovations in magazines from across the globe.

“Celebs and Magazines: Secrets of Success”

Peter Herbst, Editor-in-Chief, Premiere; Martha Nelson, Editor, The People Group; celebrity publicist Ken Sunshine and others will discuss what’s working for magazines—and what isn’t.

“MPA-IMAG Independents’ Day”

The annual mini-conference for independent publishers by independent publishers will focus this year on increasing advertising share, maximizing circulation through digital technologies, and other pertinent issues facing this community today.

This year’s conference will also feature three concurrent sessions focusing on advertising, editorial and consumer marketing:

“Meeting the Challenges of the Cross-Media Sell”

Stephen Giannetti, VP and Group Publisher, National Geographic Magazines, will moderate a panel of publishing and advertising executives on cross-media selling imperatives in the face of advertisers’ growing interest in programs that go “beyond the page.”

“The Power of Magazine Journalism: Breaking the Big Stories”

Moderator Mark Whitaker, Editor, Newsweek; James Bennet, Editor, The Atlantic Monthly; and other prominent journalists will examine the impact of magazine journalism on the political and social landscape in the U.S. and across the world.

“Catalysts for Change—Future Drivers of Consumer Marketing”

Three roundtables on retail efficiency, consumer marketing best practices and online marketing. Discussion leaders include: Chuck Cordray, VP and General Manager, Hearst Digital Media; Ken Frawley, VP, Time Warner Retail Sales; Richard Lawton, SVP, Comag Marketing Group; and Andy Wilson, Director of Internet Consumer Marketing, Meredith Corporation.

Online registration and program updates are available on the AMC website: www.magazine.org/amc.

The sponsors of AMC 2006 include: Advertising Age; Audit Bureau of Circulations; BPA Worldwide; Brown; Communications Data Services, Inc.; DeSilva + Phillips; Foster Reprints; The Jordan Edmiston Group, Inc.; Kable Fulfillment Services, Inc.; Manatt; Mediamark Research Inc.; Mediaweek; QuadGraphics; Quebecor World; and United States Postal Service.

more

MPA-IMAG Independents' Day at AMC
SUNDAY, OCTOBER 22
Once again, the American Magazine Conference devotes an afternoon to MPA's Independent Magazine Group. MPA-IMAG's afternoon programs are created for independent magazine publishers. You'll have the opportunity to share with peers and network with leaders of the independent publishing community. This program focuses on three themes impacting smaller publishers in unique ways:

Increasing Indy Share
Irene Grieco, Senior Print Buyer, Unilever, Brad Santeler, Director of Media Services, Kimberly-Clark, and Michela O'Connor Abrams, President and Publisher, Dwell, discuss how magazines can build on their natural strength and improve advertisers' bottom line.
Maximizing Circulation Through Digital Technologies
Join us for a panel discussion on how indy magazines can continue to produce profitable circulation.
Breakout Discussions
This popular IMAG Day feature returns with candid discussions about issues facing independent publishers today.
Like all IMAG events, these sessions have been created by independents for independents, and will provide the unique forum for information-sharing and discussion. Be sure to sign up for this session on your registration form! (Open to all attendees.)

the biggest problem with trying to go into circulation is reader base. we have nothing to offer the general reader. we are brand specific, and most of us already get our copy of trails by being members in the first place.
the likelyhood of our magazine doing well as a newsstand type rag is not good. we simply wouldn't appeal to a larger base of readers. sure, some guys would pick it up, just because it's wheeling, but when all we talk about are toyota rigs, it wouldn't last.
we could learn how to market better, but in the end, we are pretty much of interest only to toyota four wheel drive owners. i just can't imagine that even if everyone that is not currently a member started buying trails off the newsstand, that we'd really find it to be worth it.
as bottom line dollars go, it might make a difference for a bit, but simply stated, we are rather "focused" on our love of toyota rigs. kind of excludes the other guys, and they are the ones we would need to really do well at newsstand level.
todd, correct me if i'm wrong here. i'd like to think i might be, but don't see how i could be too far off the mark.
and just as an example, i pretty much only buy other four wheel drive magazines, if they have a cruiser in the mag.
otherwise, those 'zines just don't have a lot to offer me. most of the adds are aimed at other rigs. and what few are aimed at toyota, well i already know about them through trails. just an example, but it follows that the same logic is even more easily applied to us. our adds are all toyota specific, and really our articles are as well. what interest to guys that drive other rigs? little to none.
unless we can convert them, then you're talkin'. ;)

Last edited:
Your analysis is correct in my opinion.

Trails is, in essence, a club newsletter. It's available to club members only. So it will always be only as big/successful as the club itself.

TJK

Trails is, in essence, a club newsletter. It's available to club members only. So it will always be only as big/successful as the club itself.

well, then. i say we conquer the world. a toyota in every driveway, and trails on every coffee table!!!! world domination, here we come:eek: :bounce: :eek: :bounce2:

Could the club legally sell the magazine outside of TLCA members?

If so then we are counting on our members to support TLCA on their own. Bringing in money through advertising and membership (members), and merchandise. We sell stickers, hats, and all other kinds of merchandise to anyone and everyone. Why, to promote the TLCA as well as provide extra income to keep TLCA going. WHy would we treat TT any different? If we had more circulation you would gain more advertisers to the magazine as well as increased income.

Have we ever thought of offering TT electronically? I'm sure there are others in other countries that would love to get the magazine but shipping cost are prohibitive. Or are we going to exclude them also?

Two years ago I knew nothing about IH8MUD or the TLCA. almost 3000 post later and with terrible spelling I can say the TLCA is a great thing especially the local clubs. Had I known about TLCA 5 years ago I would probably been a member then. If you want to promote your club you have to advertiseand by advertising TLCA your advertising the local clubs. Which are the main body of TLCA. Otherwise we will always be the 4k member club. Which is fine with me but you cannot have your cake and eat it too. It's wonderfull to have a beautiful and well put together magazine (thanks Todd) but at what price. Putting the club under a financial burden to produce such a gem is probably not what the club invisioned. You market it to other people besides TLCA members and you might just gain members into the TLCA. There are a lot more than Land Cruiser and FJ Cruiser owners (yes they too are important) than 3700 people. I'm willing to be if TLCA put there magazine in airport stands and in magazine houses you would more than gain you money in printing cost.

This was in by no means to tic anyone off but just to throw some new ideas out. We have to change with the times or we will slowly die. I'm just saying it's worth talking to someone to find out more information.

One of our biggest reasons we have aquired more members locally in the past 3 months is in due to the fact that Toyota put out their FJ Cruiser magazine with the clubs listed. Without that magazine we would not have those members. It just goes to show that if you advetise you will gain customer base. You get Toyota to add the TT subscription to thier parts list and you will have a great source of income to the club.

8 to 10 weeks initial delivery means you don't have to print more magazines than you sell. You only print what you sell.

Trollhole said:
Could the club legally sell the magazine outside of TLCA members?
We already do. Anyone who wants to can buy a current issue, or back issue, whether they are a member or not. We do not, however, offer "subscriptions" in the classic sense of magazines. Toyota Trails is still the "Official" newsletter of our club, TLCA. It's still a club, even if some large fraction of our membership viewss their main benefit as getting their issue of Totota Trails every two months.

Trollhole said:
Have we ever thought of offering TT electronically? I'm sure there are others in other countries that would love to get the magazine but shipping cost are prohibitive. Or are we going to exclude them also?
We do not exclude them. We currently have a system in place which is relatively cost effective for "Affiliate Members" (see bylaws) to receive bulk shipments of Trails, but unlike chapter, Associate or Individual members, Affliliate members are not permitted to vote. Many don't care. Some might. The way we are set up is as a club, with most members having a say in how their club is run, should they choose to participate.

Trollhole said:
Two years ago I knew nothing about IH8MUD or the TLCA. almost 3000 post later and with terrible spelling I can say the TLCA is a great thing especially the local clubs. Had I known about TLCA 5 years ago I would probably been a member then. If you want to promote your club you have to advertiseand by advertising TLCA your advertising the local clubs. Which are the main body of TLCA. Otherwise we will always be the 4k member club. Which is fine with me but you cannot have your cake and eat it too. It's wonderfull to have a beautiful and well put together magazine (thanks Todd) but at what price. Putting the club under a financial burden to produce such a gem is probably not what the club invisioned. You market it to other people besides TLCA members and you might just gain members into the TLCA. There are a lot more than Land Cruiser and FJ Cruiser owners (yes they too are important) than 3700 people. I'm willing to be if TLCA put there magazine in airport stands and in magazine houses you would more than gain you money in printing cost.
Printing costs are about the same at our current 5500/issue level as they would be if we doubled. The main incremental cost is distribution. There is also incremental increase for more pages, more color, as we enjoyed for the first 4 issues this year.

Trollhole said:
This was in by no means to tic anyone off but just to throw some new ideas out. We have to change with the times or we will slowly die. I'm just saying it's worth talking to someone to find out more information.
These are discussions we have had many times over the years. Among the points I recall from previous discussions, were that (Todd, correct me if my recollection is incorrect) if we wanted to be out on the news stands, we'd have to increase printing/circulation/distribution by at least an order of magnitude: around 50k/issue to be competitive. And the thing to consider is whether we'd still be a non-profit club, or now be just another publication. With Trails as the official newletter of the club, we might have to either find a separate way to disseminate club news to club members, or else cease to be a club.

nobody is ticked off. discussion is good!!! and i for one, think your ideas are great.
it's not the ideas, it's the executability of the thing. we simply don't appeal to the masses. we are toyota only, and we just won't get enough interest in it to make it worthwhile.
now, having said this, you've got me thinking. could i get a newsstand to carry the 'zine for me, as a test case, and see how it does real world?
i'm in dallas, so we've got an international airport. could be worth it to talk to some newsstands, try to get them to carry, and see what happens.
the downside to going newsstand for our club, is in major arenas like that, we will also be seen by more greenies, and might attract unwanted scrutiny. we do things the right way(well, most of us) but no matter how good we are, it's that one drunken redneck that ruins the whole deal.
if we really wanted to try this, we could start small, as a test case, and see how it goes. i will say that i have no conviction to the efficacy of the scenario though. we are "focused" on our toyota four wheel drive vehicles, and if i didn't drive a toyota four wheel drive vehicle, trails would mean nothing to me. but i do, so lucky for me, because i don't think i'd like life without trails.:cool:
i think you are contributing greatly by having these ideas, thinking outside the box, and sharing with us. even if this one doesn't come to fruition, the next one just might be the golden egg. keep 'em coming!!!:cheers:
-justin

TT is an excellent draw for new members. Get with your local chapters, and see if they can get hold of a few extra copies to keep in your rig to pass out free of charge to prospective members. Toss a copy in the window of the random FJ80 without "Dubs" at the grocery store parking lot. It is an excellent conversation starter. I have given out all of my duplicate copies to mini truck guys, FJC owners, FJ60 owners, and even a local FJ45LV owner. Most are really surprised at the quality of the newsletter, and said they would join just for newsletter. I can't say if they did join or not, but who knows. From there it is a matter of time before they show up at an event. It gets under your skin. Honestly I feel putting TT into circulation would do a disservice to the TLCA. Besides that's what Toyota 4WD Owner magazine is on the stands for. Just my $0.02 on the subject, take it for what it's worth.

I will second or forth the not putting TT into circulation.... I don't think it would help the organization become better, just bigger, plus everyone would get to see how wierd we all are... Hehe :D

And I'd like to keep my wierdness in my close group of 3600 or so friends in the TLCA!!!

We'd need a circulation of at least 20,000 in order to attract a deal that would put us on the newsstand, is my experience. It could possibly be done with less but with an equally lower amount of enthusiasm on the part of the distributor.

Two important things to keep in mind here, the first of which I've already mentioned -- Toyota Trails is a club newsletter, not a mass market publication. Second is that the staff of Toyota Trails is largely voluntary. I get paid but I also donated 600 hours of my time last year and the same and more will be true for 2006. That's right, 15 weeks of work that I didn't get paid for. There is only so much time in the day/night/weekends in order to get the magazine published. I'm sure Chris is in the same boat and after that it's all volunteers or close to it. My point is that if you believe in your heart that Trails can and should be on the newsstand, form a committee under the TLCA umbrella and pursue it. I'm not opposed. I just don't think it's feasible and I don't have time to do an in-depth study to prove that point.

TJK

your word is good enough for me, todd. i was thinking on it as a small experiment, that would sort of prove the point. then again, i already knew the outcome, so probably not worth the investment. newsstandless we are, and shall remain, unless otherwise noted!!!

i still believe our new club motto oughta be "a toyota 4x4 in everydriveway, a trails on every coffee table"
(course, i always rooted for the brain, anyway. and pinky, well he woulda benefited, too.)

Actually, this is wrong. Only about 20% of our members are chapter affiliated.

Pt2: yes, we could sell TT to non-members, but...we have no extra copies with which to do so. It would be hugely expensive to do so.

I'm all for growing TLCA, but, we are a car club...that's our mission: do the best possible job we can for our members. I'm pretty happy with what we have. I'll welcome new members, and we are constantly working at the board level on new member strategies. But, I really don't want to grow to 10,000 just for the sake of growth. We want members who want to be here, and want to stay here. Like you, I hope;)

Thanks for your thoughts!

QUOTE} If you want to promote your club you have to advertiseand by advertising TLCA your advertising the local clubs. Which are the main body of TLCA. \QUOTE]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom